Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,394   Online: 1009

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by disfromage
    For now though I think 7x17 is big enough.

Richard
    Yeah, I contacted Richard about 16x20 because 11x14 "was big enough". The set up looks awsome Richard congrats, I just got back from Starved Rock and the weather has been great for ULF the last couple of days (no wind).

I can't wait to see it, at 13 lbs it probably weighs less than your tripod and head. Have you decided what printing process your going to use?

Mike A

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Richard,

Wow, 13 lbs. is great for such a full-featured, rigid 7x17 camera. Given the weight of a stock 8x10 Sinar P, I would have expected it to be more. David Robert's 8x20 Sinar conversion weighs 24 lbs., but it's an 8x20, uses a Sinar P front function carrier and has two rail supports and an additional base plate. I think your combination of P rear function carrier and F2 front standard gives the best combinatiopn of usability, rigidity and light weight.

I expect my Franken ARCA to come in at around 12 - 12 1/2 lbs. in it's "maximum" configuration. I could probably shave over a pound and a half off the weight if I went with a custom fabricated u-frame for the rear standard. I'm using off the shelf 25mm aluminum extrusions because they were cheap, easy to modiy and just bolt togther. They are rigid, but heavier than they need to be. If I end up using the camera as much as I hope to, I may eventually get a lighter weight, but no less sturdy rear u-frame manufacturered. The geared front standard also adds 3/4 pound to the weight. If I want to go light, I can replace it with a non-geared front standard. I can also swap out the rails and extension bracket for shorter versions and sacrifice a little max. extension to save a little more weight for those longer hikes. Still, even in max config mode, ~12 lbs. for a full featured 7x17 camera with geared front movements isn't bad.

I currently have a Gitzo G1570 head that I bought to use with the 7x17, but like you I noticed there was considerable flex in the top platform. The one I have is the older, heavier non-magnesium version that is pupposedly a little sturdier (and certainly weighs more). I'll try it with my Franken ARCA, but if it proves inadaquate, I may be looking for something else.

Yes, I do wear glasses. Thanks for the tip on the clip on magnifier. I'll give it a try.

Kerry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For now though I think 7x17 is big enough.
    Right. I remember saying I'll never need a bigger camera after I bought my first 4x5... Great to have a modular setup like that, though.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    That’s a beautiful camera, Richard. I think the ULF rail cameras give the best compromise of weight and rigidity. Congratulations!
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes Richard, that is a beautiful but very large camera. Enjoy it. How small does it fold down and how far do you think that you can carry the camera into the field?

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I need to do a couple minor tasks to improve it a bit. I want to add a velcro strap to the bellows to prevent it from sagging, and add extensions to the front rise posts so I can have more than about 1 inch of rise.

Richard Wasserman
    Richard,

That is a sweet looking piece of equipment.

But about that velcro on the bellows, *real* ULF photographers just put their Stetson cowboy hat under the bellows to keep it from sagging.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Richard,

I am sooooooo jealous. I am on Richard Ritter's list for one of his 7x17 cameras. I was hoping to get it in May, but it is taking longer than Richard expected to get all the parts etc. I know I will be as excited as you are when it all finally arrives (camera, film and holders)

Have fun!

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That looks great Richard. Congratulations and good luck!
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have you thought about a tripod head? I first tried a Gitzo G1570M and it bounced like a diving board. I went with a Ries and it is a rock. It of course also weighs as much as one.
    Richard,

I was playing around with the 2/3 of my Franken ARCA that's completed last night, and the head I tried that handles the load the best and provides the most rigidity is the ARCA-SWISS B1. I was amazed that it provided greater rigidity than the much bigger, much heavier Gitzo G1570.

Of course, some people may have a hard time using a ball head with a camera this large, but I found that positioning that camera where I wanted it was actually fairly easy by grasping the rear frame of eth camera and moving it where I wanted it. With the tension pre-set adjusted properly, you can actually grab the back with one hand on each side, move the camera to the desired position, and then tighten down the locking knob without disturbing the camera position. For such a compact, lightweight head, the ARCA-SWISS B1 is incredibly strong and rigid.

I suspect that at full extension, with a heavy lens and film holder in place, the B1 may be pushed close to its limit, but I had already figured I'd need a second support (lightweight monopod or outrigger arm) for long lenses even with the G1570.

Based on my experience last night, I'm wondering if maybe the dual-ball ARCA-SWISS B2 would be the ideal combination of strength/weight/usability for a ULF camera.

For hiking and backpacking, I plan to use the B1 with my 7x17 Franken ARCA. Here I've been trying to figure out how much a good ULF tripod head (like your Ries) was going to cost, and low-and-behold the same head I've been using for years with my 4x5 and 4x10 may be the best solution for my new 7x17.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kerry,
    We are obviously doing very different types of photography. I tried an AS B1 on 4x5 and hated it, I can't imagine using it on 7x17. I know a lot of people like them a lot. Doesn't it worry you a bit that using a head you already own is too easy and cost effective? It can't be right! (ha ha) I am now using a Sinar head on my Norma. The Ries is absolutely solid, but is certainly too heavy to carry very far. It does nicely compliment the 360mm f/5.6 Symmar that probably weighs as much it does. I am now in the process of designing and building a cart to move this beast around with. I will be working primarily in urban settings and a cart should be very handy.

Richard Wasserman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin