Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,094   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

I Finally got my 7x17 up and running!

Richard Ritter got my Sinar to me with the 7x17 conversion about 10 days ago and then I had to send the rear mechanism to Precision Camera Works for a CLA. I at long last got it all put together last night and wanted to share it with all of you. I am very excited to finally have a 7x717 camera!

I need to do a couple minor tasks to improve it a bit. I want to add a velcro strap to the bellows to prevent it from sagging, and add extensions to the front rise posts so I can have more than about 1 inch of rise.

Richard Wasserman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0950.JPG   IMG_0951.JPG   IMG_0954.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice looking camera Richard, but 7x717 is a hugh camera

LOL

Dave

KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Richard it looks great hope to see somthing in the gallery soon

enjoy

Kevin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Richard. nice setup. I like the looks of the Sinar/ULF modified cameras people have been doing. Cant wait to see the results you get from shooting with it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Richard,

Wow! You have me drooling in anticipation. Richard Ritter is currently working on the 7x17 back for my Franken ARCA. The bellows were shipped to him earlier this week from Camera Bellows in England for Richard to attach to the back he is making for me. Once that is done, and Richard ships the back/bellows to me, I'll have a little final assemby to do, but I hope to have the 7x17 Franken ARCA up in running in about 2 - 3 weeks.

Concerning the front rise, I"ll be able to get between 2 and 2 1/2" of direct front rise with my camera, but I also ordered one of the front standard "boosters" that will give me another 62mm of direct front rise. Since I'm new to 7x17, I don't know exactly how much front rise I will need, I may be able to get by with the built-in 2 - 2 1/2", but it will be nice to have the extender just in case I ocasionally need more.

Gosh, your camera looks nice! Please give us more specifics (min/max extension, weight, etc.). The precision geared movements on the rear standard have to be sweet. Due to the long focal length lenses used on 7x17, it will make the camera MUCH easier to use. I won't have any geared movements on the back of my camera (one concession I made to keep eth weight down), but I did opt to go with self-arresting geared rise and axis tilt on the front. That way I won't need a third arm to loupe the ground glass while applying tilts.

Congratulations on your new camera. In terms of usability and rigidity, it should blow away just about anything out there - certainly better than a wobbly old antique that would have probably cost you more money. What a great way to move into ULF.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Satinsnow]Nice looking camera Richard, but 7x717 is a hugh camera

Dave,

What can I say, I REALLY like panoramas! Did I mention I was excited?

Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmm... moving up to MLF (Medium Large Format)? Nice job!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kerry,
    Thanks, I too think it turned out very well. The camera has a minimum of 5" and a maximum of about 32" of extension. It might have a bit more length, but I ran out of rails. It weighs 13 pounds without a lens and is very, very solid and rigid. I don't know how much front rise I will need either and am thinking of adding 3-4 inches which I think has to be more than plenty. I'm assuming that because of the panoramic aspect that I won't need too much rise, but time will tell.

You mentioned wanting a third arm to use a loop with long lenses. Do you wear glasses? I got a Bausch and Lomb 3.7x magnifier that clips onto my glasses and works very well. It allows me to have both hands free to operate the camera.

Have you thought about a tripod head? I first tried a Gitzo G1570M and it bounced like a diving board. I went with a Ries and it is a rock. It of course also weighs as much as one. Good luck on your Franken ARCA and please post some photos of it when you can, it also sounds like a wonderful way to go for ULF.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Hmmm... moving up to MLF (Medium Large Format)? Nice job!!

Thanks Kerik. I figure that I'm half the way to a real camera. That's actually one of the things I like about this camera. I'm reasonably sure that the Sinar can handle a larger back and bellows if I ever want to do that and I wouldn't have to buy a whole new camera. For now though I think 7x17 is big enough.

Richard

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by disfromage
    For now though I think 7x17 is big enough.

Richard
    Yeah, right. I said the same thing a couple of years ago. I give you till '08 before you're cruising e-bay drooling over the 12x20s and 16x20.

Enjoy the new camera.

Allen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin