Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,844   Online: 715

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    That said, it is a bit fussy and time consuming to use. Since using ULF is incredibly time consuming anyway,

This is what I call a bad execution of a good idea, sorry but it does not take me any longer to use my 12x20 than it does to use my 8x10, so spending 20 minutes fiddling with a gadget seems to me a waste of time. In any case, I have heard far more times it is not worth it, I am just passing along the info I have.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I bought a Wind Stabilizer Kit two or three years ago for a Korona 8x20. It does work nicely for those occassions when you have buffetting wind (just be sure to loosen it up before you do any refocussing!!!). It's been some time since I've used it, not due to weather conditions but because of the inconvenience factor. Maybe it's just laziness but I don't think so. My experience says the kit isn't worth the bother except for extreme circumstances.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I made a wind stabilizer at a machine shop I had access to at one point early in my life, and it works great. Infinitely flexible in terms of rise, shift, swings, focus length. Cost: materials (two chunks of brass, steel rods of various lengths, and four wood screws) and about an hour on the machine. The camera I made it for (Tachihara 4x5) still folded perfectly with the gizmos mounted. Send a note if you want to see how I made it.

Tom

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Blind man shooting

Ryan,
    By now you know that a ulf with extended bellows becomes a sail....it seems some use the stabilizer to add strength to the camera itself at the larger extensions....for this the extra tripod is good...I saw a set up Kerik had where a small support leg was clamped to the front leg of his tripod and extended to the front standard of his 14 x 17....he uses some very large and heavy lenses...maybe he can shed some light on this...it was a commercially available product if I recall....

that being said, if one is setting up in a locale and plans to spend some time in the location photographing in the wind...storm shots, waiting for the light, whatever, I prefer to set up a very portable duck blind, available from Pro Bass or Cabelas, a good wind break is best solution....when shooting 4 x 5 ( I know your post was ulf) , my choice for those windy or stormy conditions, I like toyo with the metal reflex hood...a practically wind proof set up..as also is my old graflex.....

being an apprenticed geezer I never stray far from the truck with the larger cameras so often it works as a good windbreak for starters...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin