Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,079   Online: 920

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Group Purchase of 11x14 Color Neg. Film

Is anyone interested in a group purchase of 11x14 color negative film? I live in Rochester, NY and could act as a contact person to Kodak. When I contacted Kodak a few days ago they stated their minimum order was $10,000.00. This is certainly steep for me but perhaps we could pull it off.?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi,

So how big a hurry are you in to buy this film? I'm interested, most likely looking for NC160. Any chance on E-6 in that size? And how many sheets for $10K?

Robb

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    What are you printing these negatives on?

I shoot 11x14, and sometimes would shoot 4x5 color NC160...however, I was making prints on Fuji Crystal Archive and the Kodak RA-4 paper, and I dont think it would be worth it to create such a big negative just to print it on cheep RC color paper.

Images
    Ryan, Maybe the answer to your silly question is: Because they want too. Is there a color paper that is not RC. WHy would you not use them to print color.

I have seen 8x10 color contact prints and they were luscious. I can only imagine what and 11x14 would look like. Good luck folks. I don't own an 11x14 but if I did this would be tempting.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Group Purchase 11x14 color neg

So far folks the info I have from Kodak is they will probably do a $10,000.00 special purchase run but we will have to work through a dealer. Kodak rep estimates roughly $190.00 for a box of ten sheets. Folks I'd do 14x17 if I could afford to. Anyway heres hoping there are more ULF'ers out there who want to see a larger than 8x10 mcontact color print.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I know my question was silly, yes...but I am just wondering what color printing process people would be using. I know an 8x10, 11x14 contact is beautiful because I shoot both. However, I print those negatives on AZO and platinum, two processes that are archival and will last.

The reason why I stopped producing color work is because printing on paper such as Fuji Crystal Archive is the same as printing with an RC paper, and its only rated at 75-100 archival rating, if that!

I guess it just makes me sad to think that you can produce such a fine negative, but then have to settle for a cheep RC color print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    I know my question was silly, yes...but I am just wondering what color printing process people would be using. I know an 8x10, 11x14 contact is beautiful because I shoot both. However, I print those negatives on AZO and platinum, two processes that are archival and will last.

The reason why I stopped producing color work is because printing on paper such as Fuji Crystal Archive is the same as printing with an RC paper, and its only rated at 75-100 archival rating, if that!

I guess it just makes me sad to think that you can produce such a fine negative, but then have to settle for a cheep RC color print.
    Ryan,

I am sorry that it disappoints you to have to print on the lowly Fuji Crystal Archive RC color paper. There are not many options open to the color printer. Color dyes do not have the life expectancy of B&W. It is unfortunate that the problems with the proprietary color pigment process and paper that EverColor Fine Art had been using was not something that could be solved. Those prints were beautiful (I only had 8 of one image made) and Henry Wilhelm's life expectancy estimates were for 250 to 500 years.

Those of us that are printing from transparencies only have a few options open to us. We can print on Ilfochrome or we can print via a big digital machine like a Chromira or a LightJet or an InkJet print. I can only say that my transparencies (primarily Fujichrome Velvia 50 and Provia 100 from 35mm Leica SLRs up to 4" x 5" Linhof) look beautiful. This version of the paper has the ability of accepting short duration of high number of lumens of light.

I can only presume that the papers used for conventional printing should also be beautiful. A print from an 11" x 14" negative or transparency printed to Fuji Crystal Archive Photo Paper via a Chromira or a LightJet machine would probably look extraordinary.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is in the nature of most color media, photography aside. It seems narrow minded to fault anyone for wanting to work with color, just for reasons of archival stability. If archival stability is your ultimate concern, become an architect or a sculptor or maybe a poet.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    Narrow minded? More like arrogant.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Sorry if I came off narrow minded or arrogant, not trying to come off that way. I'm just wonder what other options are out there for printing color, that are better then the current process I was using (traditional color enlarger on Fuji Crystal Archive and processing in RA-4 chemicals).

I would probably be interested in purchasing some if I knew of a process that was more archival and produced nicer prints then FCA paper.

Again, sorry if my post came over wrong. I just do not know much about color processes and I am interested in learning more.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin