Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,176   Online: 816

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    To test the filmholders I would load them with film and blast them with a flash or expose them to the sun. Having a light leak recently I know how infuriating it is.

J
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I am ready to try that method, or any other for that matter...any ideas on how I could go about it without 'wasting' 8 - 7 x 17 pieces of film at $4-$5 a crack? I thought about cutting the film into 8 strips and loading it into the flap end and exposing it to sunlight to see if I get the same problem? someone mentioned perhaps loading a sheet of paper cut in strips? Would this work? Thanks for all your suggestions.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I found my leak, which was the camera back by putting the filmholder in the camera and pulling the darkslide. I had a sheet of writing paper in the filmholder. Then with my head under my cloth from the lens panel end I went slowly round the camera and filmholder with a very bright point source light. Hope that helps!
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Peters
    I am ready to try that method, or any other for that matter...any ideas on how I could go about it without 'wasting' 8 - 7 x 17 pieces of film at $4-$5 a crack? I thought about cutting the film into 8 strips and loading it into the flap end and exposing it to sunlight to see if I get the same problem? someone mentioned perhaps loading a sheet of paper cut in strips? Would this work? Thanks for all your suggestions.
    Scott, why not use some silver paper? Had an older 8x10 holder that was leaking and found the problem by loading some Ilford MGRC paper..then just processed it...BTW label each sheet so you know how it was handled.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mike,

The silver paper might not detect a leak, either caused by the holder or the camera, because it is so slow. If you do try to test this way make sure that you give the test several minutes, perhaps as many as twenty.

We started making double baffle film holders last year and have so far made them in 7X17, 8X20 and 12X20 size. The double baffle is better because it , 1) makes the baffle installation itself much less trick and more sure, and 2) prevents light leaks caused by improprer insertion and removal of the dark slide.

In my experience in trying to trouble shoot leak problems reported by users of our holdrers I have found that about 85% of the time the problem is one of improper fit of the holder in the back or other camera leaks.

Unfortunatley, some of the leaks are due to the holders, or the way the holders are used. If you remove the dark slide and look up through the baffle against a very bright light you should see any direct light leaks. However, some light leaks may take place in taking the dark slide in and out of the camera, and by reflected light when caution is not taken to shield the baffle side from direct light when inserting and removing the dark slides.

As always I stand ready to repair or replace any S&S holders that cause user problems and have asked Scott to return this particular set of holders to me. I would add that these particular holders were sold as seconds because of cosmetic damage, though from my best understanding the cosmetic damage should not have caused any problem with function.

One further note, just on good practice and not meaning to reflect on any person's exposing practices in the field. However, I am surprised in working with LF and ULF workers in the field how many just remove the dark cloth from the camera when they are ready to expose the negative, and just leave it off when inserting and removing the dark slides and exposing the negative. Regardless of what camera or holders you are using this is very bad practice as the weakest link in the system will always be exposed with this technique, whether it be a small pinhole in the bellows or a leak in the holder. My own procedure is to create to the extent possible an absolute dark tent around the camera and holder. That way, regardless of the condition of the camera or the holder, I come back with a good negative with no fogging from light leaks.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Scott, why not use some silver paper? Had an older 8x10 holder that was leaking and found the problem by loading some Ilford MGRC paper..then just processed it...BTW label each sheet so you know how it was handled.
    Last edited by sanking; 05-09-2006 at 09:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thank you Sandy. As always Sandy stands behind his product and I appreciate and applaud his service. I am looking forward to the 'double baffle' change. While I do make the effort to shield the holder as best as possible from light, either by shading it with my body and the dark cloth ( in this case a BTZS, and sometime a little bit tricker to creat a 'tent') I will focus more on this to minimize any issues. Any other tips/advice out there?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Peters
    Thank you Sandy. As always Sandy stands behind his product and I appreciate and applaud his service. I am looking forward to the 'double baffle' change. While I do make the effort to shield the holder as best as possible from light, either by shading it with my body and the dark cloth ( in this case a BTZS, and sometime a little bit tricker to creat a 'tent') I will focus more on this to minimize any issues. Any other tips/advice out there?
    Scott,

Just to let you know, the holders arrived today.

Unfortuanately, I will not be able to look at them as quickly as I had planned. I have beeen having problems with one of my eyes for over a week. Today I finally got to the doctor and learned that I had a very serious detachment and tear of the retina, and had emergency surgery this afternoon. I am told that if the problem had been allowd to continue for another week the chance of total blindeness in the eye was a real possiiblity, so I feel fortunate to have received prompt and professional treatment.

I won't be able to do any vision work for at least 7-10 days so the holders will have to go on the shelf. I regret the inconvenience to you but life offers no better alternative.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Your vision is more important. Glad to hear you got professional treatment in time. Don't worry about the holders. Just get better.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Scott,

Were you having problems with light leaks with your camera when we were in Sedona with Michael and Paula? I remember seeing your prints, but not seeing any signs of light leaks on them.

All the best,

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Sandy,
    Very sorry to hear about your visual problem.

Take good care of that eye.

I lost 1/2 the field of vision in an eye a few years ago and know the mental anguish caused by any imperfection in our sight, especially photographers.

My best wishes to you.

Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin