Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,206   Online: 1182

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I would like to recommend the Black Jacket.

I have one for my 8x10 and it is great. Light weight, comfortable to work with and it blocks the light from below as well as top and sides.

Since I purchased mine it has been improved so that on a field camera the light does not come through the space between the bed and the back.

For smaller cameras I use and have my students use black T-shirts which also work well, although somewhat porous.

Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I dont know if i will ever trade in my black "GUNS n ROSES" t-shirt.

maybee I should market something similar... I can see the commercial now..
    A handsome young man setting up a tachihara. A hot girl walks by and stops to see what he is doing. He motions her to pose for him. And to her surprise he strips off his black t-shirt and stretches the collar around the back of the camera. Then cut to the final print and you can see the the desire in her face.

... sorry was I daydreaming?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc
    I dont know if i will ever trade in my black "GUNS n ROSES" t-shirt.

maybee I should market something similar... I can see the commercial now..
    A handsome young man setting up a tachihara. A hot girl walks by and stops to see what he is doing. He motions her to pose for him. And to her surprise he strips off his black t-shirt and stretches the collar around the back of the camera. Then cut to the final print and you can see the the desire in her face.

... sorry was I daydreaming?
    All the while, "Welcome to the Jungle" plays...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the compliments all. Just a note to say that we've found a new source for the fabric for our focus hoods (the old supplier closed down several months ago), so we're building up our stock in all sizes and we can do custom sizes, too.

The new fabric is white on the outside and black on the inside and is, at least, water resistant just don't try photographing during flash flood season here in the Southwest!

Fred Newman

Images
    Nah, Sweet child O Mine.

I made my own dark cloth, and if I forget it I use my jacket, and if I forget that there are always baby blankets in the car. I am sure people have their reasons for buying these expensive darkcloths but I just don't see the need.

Of course there are lots of little accesories I just don't see the need for.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

OK Fred!

Just checked Fred's site Viewcamera Store....14 x 17 for 84.95....gonna call Fred right now!

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    bump for the Blackjacket. I had a darkcloth from the Viewcamera Store and I liked it until the gray stuff started peeling and flaking off and getting all over everything. It is a very old and I liked the idea but I think the Blackjacket is a better design.

just my opinion,

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    I think the BlackJacket is a great idea and I know many people who are pleased with them, however I found it was a pain to have to always stick your head inside and have it hooked to the camera. The other problem I found was when using older ULF cameras, its best to leave the darkcloth wrapped around the film back when putting the holder in and pulling the darkslide. This is not very simple when using the BlackJacket, but is easy when using a traditional darkcloth.

B
    Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net
    I really like the BlackJacket for 5X7 work and the one I have allows me to remove and re-insert the dark slides in the holder with the holders completely covered. I can not stress how important this is when working with wooden holdes and ULF equipment. All holders are subject to flashing when removing and re-inserting the dark slide, even if the baffle itself is absolutly light tight. The problem is made even worse by re-inserting the holders at an angle. A double baffle helps a lot to reduce the possibility of flashing but good shooting practice demands that you create as much dark around the holder as possible when removing and re-inserting the slide.

Recently I had a chance to inspect a larger prototype BlackJacket designed for use with 7X17" cameras. I found it a bit small and am fairly certain that it would not be possible to keep the holder covered while removing the dark slide. Hopefully Kevin will address this issue before marketing the big cloth.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    bump for the Blackjacket. I had a darkcloth from the Viewcamera Store and I liked it until the gray stuff started peeling and flaking off and getting all over everything. It is a very old and I liked the idea but I think the Blackjacket is a better design.

just my opinion,

lee\c
    Lee,

We had a run with defective cloth. Please return it to us and I'll replace it. The current cloth is much better.

Fred

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Fred,

thank you very much. that is very generous and I will take you up on your nice offer.

lee\c

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin