Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,250   Online: 751

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ryan, thanks for bringing this up. I too have the Formulary dark cloth. It is OK. I like it but I did notice two things. Too heavy to use with an old Korona 12x20, and like you said, not 100% light proof.

I am buying one right now!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Me too. I've been using the BTZS "dark cloths" sold by The View Camera Store for about 12 years now. I've used them for 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10. I've never found anything else that matches it for a combination of light-tightness (?), light weight, compact, and ease of use. I just wish they used the original materials, which were somehwat lighter than the present material and had a nicer "feel." OTOH, that material tended to flake after four or five years of use.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I guess I am funny, I don't want a dark cloth that is light tight, I want one that shields the ground glass, but allows me to see what is going on around me. An old fashioned horseblanket works perfectly for me. Not to diminish what Kev has produced.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Just got my BTZ dark cloth from Fred at ViewCamera store, it is the 12 x 20 model to fit the 14 x 17, I have to say I was very suprised upon opening it at how compact and light it is! Also the velcro is placed just right to give options on how "enclosed" I want to be...I dont like feeling trapped or claustrophobic (sp?) under the cloth...it is white on the outside and waterproof on the outside and black on the inside....easily foldable into a quite small pkg or in my case easily wadded and stuffed...quite supple...I recommend

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    WELL DONE Mr Saitta.

I received my wonderfully huge dark cloth this morning. So given the way the week has been going I used it's arrival as an excuse to go outside during lunch time. Shot two sheets of 7x17 film at a nearby building and have to say the dark cloth is VERY well made and wonderfully lightweight, yet heavy enough to just leave draped over the camera.

Ill report more after I shoot some with it this weekend. But, really nice job Kev.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My dark cloth is made from a two-ply Gortex fabric, available at Rockywoods Outdoor Fabrics in Loveland, Colorado. It is super lightweight, breathable, and waterproof. Black on one side and white on the other. The inside we lined with an opaque black china silk. It is half the weight of my old horse blanket. We added a couple of small pockets on two corners to add flat sinkers when wind becomes an issue, a piece of elastic to keep it snug around the camera back and velcro closures. Works great!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Well, I just wanted to report that I've been using my Saitta darkcloth for a few weeks now and no problems! I'm using it with the 11x14 camera and find that the 5x6 is a perfect size for this format.

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I am with Ryan.
    I have (had) a BTZS which I gave away because it was uncomfortable to use.
    I have a Blackjacket which I liked much better and used until I bought a 5x8' cloth from Kevin. A wonderful cloth. Not too heavy, easy to use with the 7x17, rainproof - what more could you want.
    And thep rice when compared with inferior cloths is dirt cheap. My ULF partner bought one when he used mine.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format

An alternative darkcloth

In the early 1990's I attended a John Sexton workshop -- most of you know that he does a lot of "quiet light' image making....twilight and later. To do this requires a very "dark" darkcloth. He found the best darkcloth was homemade ---

He used black ultrasuede(tm) and white ripstop nylon. Both materials are still available in fabric shops. The ultrasuede is absolutely black, and the ripstop is water repellent. I made mine by having the edges sewn together, leaving a tiny gap. It was turned inside-out through this gap, then the gap was sewn shut.

Its a wonderful darkcloth. Not cheap. Absolutely no light through the cloth even when putting it up to a high intensity light bulb (like the Nuarc UV printer).

IMHO commercial products aren't always the only nor best alternatives -- YMMV.

Regards
    Don

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use the BTZS on my 7x17. I have been leaving it wrapped around the camera to act as a cushion when traveling. Don't do this. The stretch elastic fabric on the edges worked off the back standard and onto the bellows flattening a fold. Long term this would have done damage to the fold on the bellows, possibly causing a light leak. Learn from my mistake.

John Powers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin