Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,930   Online: 1066

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    ... tell me, and most important: why and how you develop it for different output processes.

Thanks.

G
    New to ULF but using and more than pleased with Ilford HP5+ in 11x14 size. I have used ID11 (1:1) in trays and a home made tube and prefer the tube.

So far only exposed and developed for printing on regular VC fiber paper while I get used to this new beast of mine.

By the way for 5x7 and 8x10 I have used Efke PL 100, Kodak Tri-X and HP5 and have standardized on HP5 as it is easy to source.

Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    7x17 and 8x10 FP4 for fine grain detail. T Max 400 when speed and reciprocity are a problem. How - Rollo Pyro in Jobo CPP-2, contact printed or the 8x10s enlarged using Durst 138S converted to 12x12 cold light on Kentmere FB VC. Why - The Jobo gives consistent, repeatable results with minimal exposure to chemical allergies.
    John Powers

Favorite B&W FIlm for ULF

T Max 400 for 8x20 and 11x14 developed in trays with pyro. TMY is manufactured to high standards and I have never experienced an emulsion defect with this film. The film speed and the marvelous reciprocity characteristics are icing on the cake.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    T Max 400 for 8x20 and 11x14 developed in trays with pyro. TMY is manufactured to high standards and I have never experienced an emulsion defect with this film. The film speed and the marvelous reciprocity characteristics are icing on the cake.

Cheers!
    I agree with Michael on this. Efke/Adox Pl-100 and Ilford FP4 are nice films but TMY is in a class by itself in my opinion, because of the fine grain, speed and great reciprocity characteristics. The only reason I would not want to use it would be in those rare conditions where fast speed is a disadvantage, and those times are rare with ULF work in my experience.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 08-02-2007 at 09:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Efke PL100 in 11x14. Developed in Rodinal 1:50, water stop, and TF-4 fix. I like it because of the "look" really - I feel confident I can pick out a photo taken with Efke over the others. Great tonality, very fine grain (I use it for my medium format as well) and a reasonable price.

I think the TMY runs about $9/sheet vs. $4.20 or so for the Efke. I like to take my ULF for a spin more often than a few times a year - and I'm not made of money. I think the fact that I use this with MF (solely for it's merits) as well also plays a part: you use what you feel comfortable with.

Cheers!
    --A

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    ... tell me, and most important: why and how you develop it for different output processes.

Thanks.

G
    Geert,

Tell us, if you will, why someone who has designed and built his own 7x17 camera, makes and sells ground glass, has over 1600 posts here and many more on the LF Forum, asks this question? What film (s) have you been using, why and how do you develop it for different output processes? What results would you like that you are not achieving now? Why do you think you are not achieving these results now?

These questions of course are at the core of what we all do, but for me it is also interesting that such an experienced person is asking them. Please forgive me if I push too far.

John Powers

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    It is good to get insight from others...note the varied responses and methods used to get the desired results..
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Geert,

Tell us, if you will, why someone who has designed and built his own 7x17 camera, makes and sells ground glass, has over 1600 posts here and many more on the LF Forum, asks this question? What film (s) have you been using, why and how do you develop it for different output processes? What results would you like that you are not achieving now? Why do you think you are not achieving these results now?

These questions of course are at the core of what we all do, but for me it is also interesting that such an experienced person is asking them. Please forgive me if I push too far.

John Powers

John- perhaps he wants to experiment, but doesn't want to do so blindly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a long time I have used FP4 and HP5 in various dillutions of HC110. In trays for anything larger than 8x10. Why Ilford? Because I have never had a single sheet of Ilford film with a problem and I like the versatility I can get between the two films. Only problem is the cost limits my shooting.

I have experimented with Efke film in the past but was a little wary of quality control. But after seeing current work by Donald Miller from his trip to Italy I plan on buying Efke 100 and souping in Pyrocat-HD. Plus the cost is about half of Ilford. Currently everything is exposed and developed for contact printing on silver gelatin papers.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    ... Tell us, if you will, why someone who has designed and built his own 7x17 camera, makes and sells ground glass, has over 1600 posts here and many more on the LF Forum, asks this question? ...
    Hi John,

no offense taken. Sorry it took me so long to reply because I overlooked the thread.

If you look at the date of the post, it is over a year ago that I asked this question. At that time I had almost or just finished my 7x17 and had only a single 25 sheet box of film at my hands, for having exact dimensions and testing for light leaks.
    Any experience in larger than 4x5" film was unknown to me and I developed for enlarging.
    I was inquering because I was not sure if I would continue to use the Forte film I had then and was interested in joining the next Ilford ULF make.

Over a year later, my freezer is for 1/4 stocked with 250 sheets of the same Fortepan 200 (Europan, if you remember Frankies offerings). That will keep me busy for a year or 5, if I continue shooting 50 sheets a year like I did in the last year.

So, I can now contribute to this thread with a little bit of experience, since I also stocked the same film in 8x10, with the double amount of sheets burned in 6 months.

I develop in Tanol, a product of Moersch Photochemie (Germany), which is a tanning developer. My aim is contact printing (duh!) and I like the results I get with this combination, for output on modern VC fibre paper.
    Development is done in a large tray (single tray method), 2 sheets at a time. I have a 60x40 cm tray, both sheets are held apart by suction cups. I have never had a scratched negative.

My efforts in gum printing and other alt processes have been locked in the closet for some time now.

It's a shame that Forte stopped production because none of the sheets showed any flaws and I am quite happy with the quality.

Greetings,
    G

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin