Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,406   Online: 1120

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Efke pl100. Cheap, well, inexpensive anyway. Freestyle carries it in most ulf sizes.
    it has excellent tonality and is very forgiving in the dark room (important since I'm rather cavalier in my technique) It is available in every format I shoot and many I don't, so I can standardize on one emulsion which is always a nice thing. I've never heard of a quality issue with the 100 speed Efke from anybody real or in cyberspace.
    That said, TMY is great stuff to have in you arsenal of emulsions,but if I don't need the speed or reciprocity characteristics Efke is my choice. FP-4+ when it is available in ULF is also a good choice.

I soup the stuff in a UNicolor processor using the 16x20 print drum. Figure the surface area and extrapolate the date given on the Unicolor article on the Large Format Homepage. Cheap, efficient, nice!
    Last edited by John Kasaian; 08-14-2007 at 02:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: oops!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you Geert. You are right. I had not noticed the date of your original question and considered the time passed and the experience gained in that passing.

Thank you TheFlyingCamera. That makes perfect sense to me.

The reason I asked is that though the question itself may be very interesting and instructive, often the reason the question was asked is even more so. In some cases there was a disconnect between the reason and the question. There might also be a disconnect between the person asking and the person listening. In either case the listener goes down the wrong path traveling farther from the questioner’s thoughts. I have tried to apply these life lessons as I start all over learning LF and ULF.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I've never heard of a quality issue with the 100 speed Efke from anybody real or in cyberspace.
    Its real John and there have been several threads about it here and on the LFF. The box of 8x10 I currently have has the problem. Uneven coating which causes noticeable streaking on the print. Its nearly impossible to see the defects on the negative. I suppose densitometer reading may reveal the difference in density.

The 7x17 PL100 that I recently got has not shown the problem yet.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There has also been instances of the film being cut incorrectly and not fitting film holders (although I think this was limited to 4x5). About the only thing one can do is pull a sheet from the box and do a test exposure to check for imperfections. Of couse having to waste a sheet of 11x14 or larger this way and the added cost of chemistry to process takes a bite out of the less expensive argument.

I guess everything has its advantages and disadvantages. So while I am going to order some of the PL100 I will keep some Ilford on hand just in case I run into a bad batch and have to return it.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Its real John and there have been several threads about it here and on the LFF. The box of 8x10 I currently have has the problem. Uneven coating which causes noticeable streaking on the print. Its nearly impossible to see the defects on the negative. I suppose densitometer reading may reveal the difference in density.

The 7x17 PL100 that I recently got has not shown the problem yet.
    Alex,
    I don't follow film threads that closely then, but I've yet to have any problems with the stuff. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I have been working my way through 10 rolls of the roll film version in 127 format and I'm very happy with it so far.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Likewise-have used dozens of rolls of the 25,50 and 100 in 120 no probs. However HP5+ will likely be my standard film in ULF as I already use it more than any other.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

An Example

Here's an example. This was an 8x10 PL100 negative contact printed on Kentmere Kentona paper. You can see a light streak running vertically just slightly right of center. Darker streaks on the left and right . Its a lot more evident in areas of no texture, like clear skies. In this one, it doesn't show up too bad, but it still shows especially to the experienced eye.

The first several sheets from this box seemed OK. It still works well enough on subjects where the entire frame is filled with good texture. But otherwise, it sucks. It makes me kind of scared to get another box, even though I think this is an excellent film.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DC3_c1.jpg  
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin