Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,221   Online: 853

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8x10 or 11x14

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joseph's post is the first poor experience I have ever heard of - apart from mine. Jens personally strung me along for about 6 months. I finally just gave up but will obviously never do business with him again.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Back to the original subject, an Aplanat No.6 is great for portraits in studio, while an Aplanat No.4 will give full figure coverage. Due to the quirks of geometry and distance, I will recommend those sizes for both 8x10" and 11x14", as well as 12x16".

An Aplanat No.4 will be 300 to 360mm focal length in most cases, regardless of manufacturer. A No.6 will be around 420 to 500mm. A single No.5 could replace both, but they seem to be much rarer for some reason? Anyway the total price of two fine old Aplanats can be as low as $40. Maximum aperture of these old beasts is f:7.2 to f:7.7 - better than f:9, but not much.
    My Steinheil "Patent" No.6 cost me $30, and is as good as when it was new (in 1867).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Reply to JosBurke and Donsta, regarding Jensen-Optical

I am sad to hear that JosBurke and Donsta feel they have had bad experiences with me and/or my business.
    I would like to correct what I may have done wrong and if either of you will contact me directly, 800 675 1493 or email DURST-PRO-USA@msn.com, I will be more than happy to address and correct the issue. You can also post the complaint here at APUG, and let me know about the posting as I only saw this thread by accidence, and I will reply.

I do not know what "DONSTA" is short for, “josBurke” probably for Joseph Burke. I have looked in my files and do not see the name Jos, or Joseph Burke as a customer. And therefore I have been unable to look up the file and give an in debth reply at this time.

We get quite a few bad reactions from users of equipment for 6x6 and smaller, but also from large format users, when we tell them that we cannot help. Many people erroneously take their frustration with Durst in Italy out on us as we can be reached by phone. And there is quite a lot of bad will against Durst for the discontinuation of certain Durst enlarger models and associated accessories.

In 2004 and part 2005 I had staff employed that were experts on Digital material and thus were impatient with the Largeformat crowd, who needs a more personal attention than the hundreds of minilab owners that called us. Especially one of the sales people seemed to be impatient with “old used optical equipment” and gave my business a bad reputation. He is obviously not with us any longer.
    You may therefore not have spoken to me personally, but whether or not you did, if you will address your concern I will be most happy to try to remedy any bad feelings.

My web page has been refurbished and the knowledge database has been made public without any passwords required.
    Best regards
    Jens J Jensen, WWW.JENSEN-OPTICAL.US , WWW.DURST-PRO-USA.COM PHONE 800 675 1493

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I might like to add one of the few votes for the 8x10 in the studio over the 11x14.

I've used both formats in the studio for shooting the nude. I've contacted printed and shown both formats, their difference in wall appeal one format over the other is less then most of the replies here would make you think. It turns out to be more of a personal choice.

I can tell you there is a big difference in working with the two cameras in the studio. For those that have shot and thought the 8x10 was slow, try shooting 11x14. It will make the 8x10 feel like a medium format camera.

It’s easier to buy 8x10 holders on the used market. Also they are much cheaper, you should be able to buy about 6-8 or so 8x10 holders to the costs of one 11x14 holder. I know when I work with the nude in the studio I like to shoot 30-40 8x10's in a session and not be limited by having 3 or 4 holders. You do not want to be changing film while the subject is waiting in the studio. Even if an assistant is doing the changing the subject is still waiting.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jensen-optical View Post
    I am sad to hear that JosBurke and Donsta feel they have had bad experiences with me and/or my business.
    I would like to correct what I may have done wrong and if either of you will contact me directly, 800 675 1493 or email DURST-PRO-USA@msn.com, I will be more than happy to address and correct the issue. You can also post the complaint here at APUG, and let me know about the posting as I only saw this thread by accidence, and I will reply.

I do not know what "DONSTA" is short for, “josBurke” probably for Joseph Burke. I have looked in my files and do not see the name Jos, or Joseph Burke as a customer. And therefore I have been unable to look up the file and give an in debth reply at this time.

We get quite a few bad reactions from users of equipment for 6x6 and smaller, but also from large format users, when we tell them that we cannot help. Many people erroneously take their frustration with Durst in Italy out on us as we can be reached by phone. And there is quite a lot of bad will against Durst for the discontinuation of certain Durst enlarger models and associated accessories.

In 2004 and part 2005 I had staff employed that were experts on Digital material and thus were impatient with the Largeformat crowd, who needs a more personal attention than the hundreds of minilab owners that called us. Especially one of the sales people seemed to be impatient with “old used optical equipment” and gave my business a bad reputation. He is obviously not with us any longer.
    You may therefore not have spoken to me personally, but whether or not you did, if you will address your concern I will be most happy to try to remedy any bad feelings.

My web page has been refurbished and the knowledge database has been made public without any passwords required.
    Best regards
    Jens J Jensen, WWW.JENSEN-OPTICAL.US , WWW.DURST-PRO-USA.COM PHONE 800 675 1493
    Jens

My name is Don Hutton. I ordered some AR glass for my Fotar enlarger from you personally and was lied to regarding it on at least eight different occassions over the course of 6 months by you personally. There is no remedy in life for regaining trust. The secret is to preserve it by acting with honesty and integrity at all times.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin