Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,242   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 or 11x14

Shooter
    4x5 Format

8x10 or 11x14

I like to try to go to ULF. I wanted to get a 8x10 but my friend suggest 11x14... hmmm, any different?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Weight.

The camera is a tool. What do you want to accomplish?

If it's field work, maybe the 8x10 is better. It may be a little easier to enlarge as well.

If it's portraits, perhaps the 11x14.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, 8x10 isn't really ULF... But, if it was me, I'd go for the 11x14. BUT, your film choices are greatly limited and it is much more difficult/expensive to buy film, filmholders, lenses, etc. Also, 11x14 is much less portable, if that's an issue.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, maybe I would like to talk about my interest. I like to do studio photography especially portrait and nude. Can anyone recommend the lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those sharp shots the 355mm f/9 G-Claron
    If you need more compression then the 19" f/11 Red Dot Artar
    For fun and swirly times a 16" f/6.7 Petzval in shutter
    For LOTS of swirl and out-of-focusness a 9" verito on an 8x10
    --all from personal experience

From what I have read I would look for a 300-480mm heliar as long as the camera can handle it. They have a very smooth, buttery character to them from the images I have seen made with said lenses.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another really nice lens for 8x10 and 11x14 is the Kodak Commercial Ektar 14". I've also seen some very nice things done with a 480mm (19") Goerz Dogmar f5.5 (good luck finding one... they're rare and pricey). My avatar was taken with one.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MonoAsia
    Thanks, maybe I would like to talk about my interest. I like to do studio photography especially portrait and nude. Can anyone recommend the lens?
    For this kind of work with the 11X14 I would stay away from process lenses with small apertures like the Artars and G-Clarons because this may make it difficult to focus and compose indoors. Instead, look for some of the large f/4.5 Tessar lenses, or even triplets, that were once made for ULF cameras and studio work. You will sometime find them labeled by inch, but just as often by format covered. I have, for example, a 19.5" Tessar that is labeled for the 14X17" format, and a lens like this would be ideal for your work.

Don't worry about how sharp the lens is, because almost anything will be sharp enough for 11X14. But having a wide aperture to focus and compose would be really useful with indoor protrait work. Also, bear in mind that some of the really nice work in this format is done with the lens wide open, with just one or two of the eyes in sharp focus, and the rest of the scene allowed to soften. I find this very attractive.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Also, bear in mind that some of the really nice work in this format is done with the lens wide open, with just one or two of the eyes in sharp focus, and the rest of the scene allowed to soften.
    Sandy
    Oh, dear lord, I just can't help myself...

Sandy, do you have any test shots where you have three or four eyes all in focus for us to compare?

Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore

Sandy, do you have any test shots where you have three or four eyes all in focus for us to compare?

Of course he does, if he's wearing his glasses and shooting at F22

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore

A person could go nuts trying to decide which eye (s)!!

Quote Originally Posted by MonoAsia
    I wanted to get a 8x10 but my friend suggest 11x14... hmmm, any different?
    74 sq. in.

Portrait Sigmar 19" f4 is nice.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin