Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,961   Online: 968

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

10x20 inch ULF???

So after playing around with the 12x20 for a month now and becoming familiar with how it 'feels'...I am kind of deciding that I like a little bit wider format, something like the 7x17. I like the negative width of the 12x20, just not the height. I looked at some 8x20 work online, and even saw an 8x20 print from AJ Meek that a friend of mine has...but it seems even more horizontal than the 7x17.

So, I'm wondering if there is a camera that's 10x20 inches? I know I can always trim down my 12x20's, but it seems that there is a risk to damaging the negative once they are processed. Is that risk minimal? Is anyone doing that for a wider format?

Is there such a camera like the 10x20? Just curious.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have cut 12x20's down to 8x20's without any problem. Another, slightly safer option is to cut a rubylith mask to 10x20 and mask your negative when you print it. Draw some sharpie lines on your ground glass and you are in business.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade
    So after playing around with the 12x20 for a month now and becoming familiar with how it 'feels'...I am kind of deciding that I like a little bit wider format, something like the 7x17. I like the negative width of the 12x20, just not the height. I looked at some 8x10 work online, and even saw an 8x20 print from AJ Meek that a friend of mine has...but it seems even more horizontal than the 7x17.

So, I'm wondering if there is a camera that's 10x20 inches? I know I can always trim down my 12x20's, but it seems that there is a risk to damaging the negative once they are processed. Is that risk minimal? Is anyone doing that for a wider format?

Is there such a camera like the 10x20? Just curious.
    As far as I know there is no 10X20 camera. However, we made some 9 1/2" X 20" holders a couple of years ago for someone who planned to cut down 9 1/2" aerial film in rolls, so might be an option, depending on supply of this particualr film.

Another option is to get an 8X20 reducing back for the 12X20.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hadn't thought about the rubylith and Sharpee marks.

I'm really liking this Korona camera. I've had to do some 'upkeep' to it over the past week...but now it seems to be in pretty tip-top shape.

I am really liking that 10x20 format, and have looked at many of my images cropped to that ratio.

Kind of even looking for some advice about a 10x20 camera and holders custom made and trimming down film. Is that route going to be 'better' than trimming down 12x20 negs? Yeah, I know it depends on what 'better' means...just thinking out loud for a bit.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I routinely trim the clear rebates off of my ULF film or 'crop' with a Rototrimmer. No big deal. I've never damaged a negative this way.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    I routinely trim the clear rebates off of my ULF film or 'crop' with a Rototrimmer. No big deal. I've never damaged a negative this way.
    Alright...well, that answers that question.

I am guessing that getting the big Rototrimmer (I have the smaller version already, so I'm comfortable with it), is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than getting a custom camera/holders made.

Any other thoughts?
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

I'm really liking this Korona camera. I've had to do some 'upkeep' to it over the past week...but now it seems to be in pretty tip-top shape.

I am really liking that 10x20 format, and have looked at many of my images cropped to that ratio.

Kind of even looking for some advice about a 10x20 camera and holders custom made and trimming down film. Is that route going to be 'better' than trimming down 12x20 negs? Yeah, I know it depends on what 'better' means...just thinking out loud for a bit.
    Personally I would just mask down the 12X20 negatives. An adaptor back and 4-5 custom 10X20" holders will set you back $2000-$3000. You can buy a lot of rubylith masking tape for that money. And a very high quality trimmer to boot.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed.

As much as I'd looove to buy some 10x20 holders from you, I may have to buy some 12x20 holders instead.

Now to look for the camera...
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Michael, I use something simular to Rubylith http://www.base-line.com/masking.htm I forget who it was but one of the members recommended this product. I use it for masking 11x14 and it works great, I use the same mask multiple times.

Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    theres always the concept of just continuing to buy 12x20 film (imagine the money savings would be minimal over custom 10x20 film getting cut) then you could get an extra darkslide and create a "mask" to slide into the holder that would mask the 1" off the top and bottom, you could even black out your GG to only give you the 10x20 area. just an idea. Kinda like using an extra darkslide to shoot 4x10 on 8x10.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin