Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,278   Online: 921

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

ULF lenses - short bellows telephoto???

So I've been playing around with the 24 inch RedDot and like the focal lenth, coverage, etc...

But...the bellows are WAY out there,and no room for close-focusing nearer than say, 40-50 feet at the closest.

Are there lenses that are longer than a 24 inch focal length, but do not require the bellows to be 24 inches away from the GG?

I think that somewhere I'd heard of such a thing, but I can't remember if it was on the internet or in a dream.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Schneider I think makes a ULF telephoto in their XXL series, but I don't remember the specifics. Michael Mutmansky tested one for View Camera magazine a little while ago.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    what format...how much coverage? tele lenses do not take as much bellows, nikor makes them in 400 500 600 and 800...

do you need the lens to be in a shutter? also fugi has a compact 12.5 450 mm and a 600 mm but they are not tele designs and also would have to have 450 mm and 600 mm of bellows at infinity and much more for closer focus.....what specific use are you looking for? If landscape and you like the 24 inch lens then you are pretty much going to have to use 24 in of bellows for that perspective or get a 600 tele which uses less bellows....important however how much film do you have to cover?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Michael,

You have left out one important detail. What format are you trying to cover? There are a number of "Tele" type lenses that will cover 4X5 and require less than the focal lenght to get infinity focus. However as you move up in format, the number of "Tele" choices gets much smaller. The 24" Artar is about 600mm focal lenght and does in fact require 24" of bellows extension for infinity focus. Fuji makes or made both a 400mm and a 600mm Tele and Nikon made 500mm, 600mm and 720mm Tele type lenses all of these lenses will give infinity focus at approximately 2/3 of their focal lenght.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh yeah, silly me, I'm trying to cover 12x20.

Sorry for the dumbness.
    Michael Slade

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    your artar will cover and the fugi 600 c has circle of 600 but does a bit better than that....however you seem interested in focusing shorter? For portrait etc other shorter lenses will cover when the bellows is pulled....355 G claron for example..

you can extend your plane a bit of course by stopping down and or using tilts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mmmm - the curse of the banquet camera. The upside is that you won't be tempted to spend ridiculous money on all sorts of long lenses like the 1100mmXXL.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Time to make a lensboard out of the cone from an oscilloscope camera. Please tell me you didn't buy the 42" lens Jay Packer was selling!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade
    Are there lenses that are longer than a 24 inch focal length, but do not require the bellows to be 24 inches away from the GG?

I think that somewhere I'd heard of such a thing, but I can't remember if it was on the internet or in a dream.
    At one time someone posted a message indicating that the Nikkor T-1200 ED would *just* cover 12X20 at infinity. If so, it should have a lot more coverage at distances of less than 40', unless there is some vignetting from the barrel.

No idea of the current price of such a lens, but probably fairly expensive.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Michael here is a link to the Nikkor T-1200 covering 12x20.
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...id=003G08&tag=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin