Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,995   Online: 828

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrigan
    I still have the feeling there is a lens out there that I've missed. Until recently I never knew of this 200mm metrogon (or topogon?) Russain lens that I have and it cost me 75 bucks.
    I doubt there is anything out there inexpensive in the 210mm range that will cover a circle of 500mm. No harm in looking, but many ULF photographers before you have gone down that path and come up empty. The metrogon (Topgon) design is commonplace, but only covers about 90 degrees, and you need a lot more than that in 210mm to cover 500mm.

The only exception I can think of would be a very old lens of Protar V design or the same design made under a different name. But almost everyone already knows to look for these so chance of finding one cheap is not great.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 06-03-2006 at 07:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, when you find the "Holy Grail" of ULF superwides, please be sure to let us all know - I think everyone and their dog's would be all over a cheap 210mm with a 500mm image circle... There's a very good reason that a 270 Computar on Ebay just sold for $1700 - these lenses are rare and highly sought after.

The only "cheap" 500mm image circle wides out there I have first hand experience with are the 240mm Kowa and the 305 G Claron (which never ceases to amaze me for coverage - I just did some 8x20 shots last week with one - around 540mm of image circle and I used a little tilt - and I bought the lens for under $500). And believe me, a 305mm on 8x20 is wide....

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The answer to your question is "no". If a Protar V of 8 3/8" shows up you'll be bidding against me. In spite of all the hype, the Computar 210 does not get the job done. Nice to wish for but I have one and to cover 11X14 you're focusing "in" at 80 feet or less and stopping down to f64 to try to get the corners covered. That isn't an 1114 lens in my book. There was a pretty 210 pre-war f6.8 Angulon from a seller in Japan earlier this week. I have no experience but Ole swears they'll cover amazing things.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim thanks I hadn't thought about the f6.8 angulon. I've had a 90mm and 120mm angulons in the past that illuminated big but real coverage was not quite as good. You may thing I'm nuts for trying to find such a lens but I'll keep looking you never know. I don't know if its the holy grail but....I also think ebay deals are pretty hard to find these days the best prices I'm getting are definatly not online.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Harrigan, is this for a specific project? Would nt a 300 or 240 suffice? just wondering...you might be more in the ball park?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Also here is a list of inexpensive wide angles that cover 500mm that I have had or tried:

300mm apo gerogon (very similar to g-claron coverage)
    360mm apo gerogon
    300mm Konica Hex grii
    310mm Konica Hex grii
    300mm jml wide field process lens

There are others that escape my mind right now but the facts are you dont need to spend a ton to get a good wide angle that covers 500mm.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

180mm or so to cover 8x10

Not to highjack the thread, but I have been looking for a lens in the 180 range that covers in the range of 350 to 400mm. The 165mm lens feels too wide for my application, and my 240 is a just a bit long. Are there any lenses of about 180 for 8x10 in shutter?
    Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Finding a 300mm that covers 500 is easy. A Dagor will do that.

Finding a 210 is also easy, but it is the current state of art.

So, if you want to step back from the cutting edge, you can find something in between.

Depending on how you work, an 8 1/2 " Protar V will do it, at 22 or 32. It WILL be darker in the corners... and the Super Angulon XL will be far less so.

Good luck.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrigan
    Also here is a list of inexpensive wide angles that cover 500mm that I have had or tried:

300mm apo gerogon (very similar to g-claron coverage)
    360mm apo gerogon
    300mm Konica Hex grii
    310mm Konica Hex grii
    300mm jml wide field process lens

There are others that escape my mind right now but the facts are you dont need to spend a ton to get a good wide angle that covers 500mm.
    JML made a 209.7 EFL f/8 both the front element and rear are about 65mm diameter so wide open would indicate more of a f/3?.....the iris stops at f/8..the elements protrude..quite bulbous....I will try and mount this up and see what I see....wasnt aware the JML 300 had that coverage...they show up once in a while and are not that pricey yet

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dave I put a shot I made with the jml 300mm in the gallery a few days ago, with the 30x40. The lens covers 500mm with a tiny slice of movement at f64. The 209mm jml barely covers 8x10, I had one that I sold but its a good sharp lens.

I've never considered this other lens I have here......marked special wide angle 80-90 degrees 11x14 and I know its there about 210-220mm brass waterhouse stops. Heck it may even be a protar knock off of some sort. It has Ralph J. Golsen Chicago on it. I got it to shoot wide open and make old timey looking images but I should try it at f64 I just never considered it might be sharp. I've always considered the old brass lenses to be sort of iffy but I should give this lens a try.

As far as a 180 for big coverage there aren't any that come to mind.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin