Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,619   Online: 752
      
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shenadoah Valley
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    342
    Images
    4

    210mm wide angle

    I have been looking for a 210mm lens to cover 500mm diagonal for some time. Does anyone know of any 210mm lenses that would work on my 30x40cm camera at infinity? I am aware of the 210mm sa and the 200mm grandagon but these lenses are very expensive and while I shoot wide angle almost all the time the 210 would be used less than my standard 300mm lens. Are there any reasonable 210mm lenses that would cover the 30x40cm? What about the computar 210? Iíve tried almost every other 210mm process lens thatís come my way and nothing had covered yet. I have a 200mm Russian metrogon that just misses as does the wollensak 10x12 extreme wide angle 200mm lens. I believe Iíve hit a brick wall here but there certainly is the possibility that Iíve overlooked some lens? Can anyone shed any light on a 210 that would cover 500mm other than the 210 sa and the 210 grando? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    145
    Images
    2
    210 super symmar XL - even more expensive! The issue is that the sort of coverage you are looking for from a 210mm lens requires a highly exotic and expensive design. I'm not sure of the exact coverage of a Computar 240mm, but it may get close to 500mm - I have one which covers 11x14 with a bit of room for movement (about 2 inches of front rise at f64 - which would equate to around 500mm of coverage). In the 240mm focal lengh, the Kowa Graphic seems to be the same as the Computar and is usually a much cheaper option (a couple of hundred for a barrel mounted version). Even then though, it's not a 210mm.... FWIW, the 210 super symmar XL would have substantially more coverage for your format even though the quoted image circle is only 500mm. I have shot it on 12x20 pretty much straight on with good results. Also, you may want to check that your camera can focus a 210mm at infinity first.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shenadoah Valley
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    342
    Images
    4
    I can easily focus a 120mm and maybe even shorter. I forgot about the 210 ss xl but I'm aware of that lens as well. I know my requirements are steep but there's got to be something out there. Are you satisfied with the computar 240 on 11x14? I tried a kowa graphic 360mm lens and it was a poor performing lens at infinity, soft even on 11x14 coverage @ the corners. It may have been a bad copy or something that lens ought to cover.

  4. #4
    df cardwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Dearborn,Michigan & Cape Breton Island
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,342
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrigan
    ..... I know my requirements are steep but there's got to be something out there.....
    No, there doesn't. Extra-hyper-super Wide, good, cheap. No.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

    -Bertrand Russell

  5. #5
    Dave Wooten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    2,718
    Images
    20
    Computar 240 on 7 x 17 is fine about a 480 mm circle....was recommended to me by Sandy King.

    I will put it on the 14 x 17 (about 550 mm circle) later and check the corners.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrigan
    I have been looking for a 210mm lens to cover 500mm diagonal for some time. Does anyone know of any 210mm lenses that would work on my 30x40cm camera at infinity? I am aware of the 210mm sa and the 200mm grandagon but these lenses are very expensive and while I shoot wide angle almost all the time the 210 would be used less than my standard 300mm lens. Are there any reasonable 210mm lenses that would cover the 30x40cm? What about the computar 210?

    The Computar 210 will not throw a circle that large. It will just barely cover 11X14, which puts itx maximum circle at around 460-65 mm.

    Computar 240 will cover, according to my calculations. It covers about 90 degrees, stopped way down of course, and should throw a circle of around 520mm. Some 240mm Kowa Grahics are of the same design as Computar, but most are not so be aware of this fact when buying.

    Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 06-03-2006 at 11:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    829
    Images
    7
    What's this lens that www.glennview.com/lens.htm refers to?:

    "~210mm ~F8 lens, coated, in barrel with filter slot, also with slip in gel filter holder, also with an S.K.Grimes made adapter for this lens that accepts 52mm or 67mm filters, will screw into Copal #1, covers 11X14, small, Mint, $1200. For $1600 I will put this lens into a Copal #1 shutter and have S.K.Grimes make an F-stop scale for the shutter and ship it directly to you. The only other similar focal length lenses that will cover 11X14 with such quality are the Schneider 210 S-A and 210 Super SymmarXL and the 200 Grandagon, and they are 6-7# heavier, 20 times larger, and much more expensive. Because this lens' capabilities are known only by a few very knowledgeable photographers, and although rare, the lens does come onto the market occasionally, and I don't want any more competition than necessary--I will not list the lens' name. If you buy it from me you'll know, but you won't have any need for another. 25% restocking charge if returned. If you want to see for yourself what the lens can do, send $50 for 11X14 contact print made with this lens. "

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller
    What's this lens that www.glennview.com/lens.htm refers to?:

    "~210mm ~F8 lens, coated, in barrel with filter slot, also with slip in gel filter holder, also with an S.K.Grimes made adapter for this lens that accepts 52mm or 67mm filters, will screw into Copal #1, covers 11X14, small, Mint, $1200. For $1600 I will put this lens into a Copal #1 shutter and have S.K.Grimes make an F-stop scale for the shutter and ship it directly to you. The only other similar focal length lenses that will cover 11X14 with such quality are the Schneider 210 S-A and 210 Super SymmarXL and the 200 Grandagon, and they are 6-7# heavier, 20 times larger, and much more expensive. Because this lens' capabilities are known only by a few very knowledgeable photographers, and although rare, the lens does come onto the market occasionally, and I don't want any more competition than necessary--I will not list the lens' name. If you buy it from me you'll know, but you won't have any need for another. 25% restocking charge if returned. If you want to see for yourself what the lens can do, send $50 for 11X14 contact print made with this lens. "
    IMO the lens he is selling is a 210mm F/9 Computar in an original barrel. These lenses screw directly into Copal #1 shutters.

    Sandy

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,577
    Harrigan, I don't mean to insult you, but do you sell on eBay as landarc?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shenadoah Valley
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    342
    Images
    4
    I never said dirt cheap but a computar for 1200 is a bit much and I doubt it covers. I can find a sa 210 for that if I'm patient. There are plenty of 210s that cover 11x14 and I just need a little more coverage. In fact I have 3 different ones but they each just miss 500mm by a bit. For me though as a secondary lens I cant justify spending thousands but I do have occasions where it would be nice to have. I still have the feeling there is a lens out there that I've missed. Until recently I never knew of this 200mm metrogon (or topogon?) Russain lens that I have and it cost me 75 bucks. I also recently found the 10x12 wollensak ext wa lens and it was Very inexpensive and supposedly covers 11x14 at small stops.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin