Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,786   Online: 713

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    The first portrait I shot in 11x14 was lovely.

The family ordered lots of extra prints.... wallets.

d
    <LOL>!

My first 4x5 was a portrait too. My "test" subject also wanted nothing but wallet prints..

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ZorkiKat
    <LOL>!

My first 4x5 was a portrait too. My "test" subject also wanted nothing but wallet prints..

What we need is clients with 11x14 wallets.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A
    Johannes, I've been shooting 11x14 for 2 years or so now. I contact print only, this is realistically your only option, which is fine for me. I look at my old enlargements and as allot of contact printers will tell you there is something intrinsically different in a contact print.

On the flip side, I was interested in seeing what an optical enlargement from 11x14 looked like so I looked high and low for a lab that could create optical enlargements from 11x14 and found none. I would say go with 5x7 or 8x10 if you wish to make sizable enlargements.

Mike
    Mike
    I have a 11x14 Deveere Enlarger set up in my darkroom that I use for 8x10 but also could do 11x14 negatives. In fact my wishlist includes a 11x14 camera to take full advantage of this enlarger.
    Not many around as you say, mine is in *new condition* one of the best gifts given to me by a larger sister lab when they went fully digital.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sounds like i have to think this over, but leaving the printing to "förstorningsatteljen" sounds like a good idea and leave them a good contact print as "model".

But the scanning bit sounds dull, anyway. Going to think about this.

I was veiwing a Webpage by a german artist that had portraits printed on cloth that sized 20x60 feet, but that big make the viewing distance is far far away from the actual enlargment. ( www.helnwein.com ) click on photography.

My only concerns so far is wheight of camera, i would like a wooden one, so thats kinda heavy. And the scanning part.

Cheers Johannes from sweden.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Johannes -- I hate to mention this in an analog forum, but scanning the negative, not an enlargement, may be the most practical. A film scanner that permits quite large prints from 4x5 is less expensive than most large format film equipment, and requires little space. Consider the Epson Perfection V700 Photo or Epson Perfection V750-M PRO.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I actually built an 11x14 enlarger (from a horizontle camera) for a friend. So, I've gotten to enlarge and print from both 8x10 and 11x14 negs. My impression..... there is no advantage to enlarging from anything larger than 8x10. I don't know if this is due to film flatness or the quality of the taking lenses. I love the 11x14 for alt contact prints, but I will use 4x5 and 8x10 for enlargements.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Johannes -- I hate to mention this in an analog forum, but scanning the negative, not an enlargement, may be the most practical. A film scanner that permits quite large prints from 4x5 is less expensive than most large format film equipment, and requires little space. Consider the Epson Perfection V700 Photo or Epson Perfection V750-M PRO.
    I am considering the purchase of one of these two scanners. I will be scanning 120 and 4x5 film. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the two.... Dmax, dual lenses, resolution appear to be equal between the two. Is the only difference the Pro's ability to do "wet" scans??? I'm not keen on the idea of wetting down a neg. for scanning... some of my negs are "singles", made back in the day when I was too stupid to make two exposures, or when the second frame was exposed incorrectly.

Susan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One could actually scan an 11x14 negative in sections and stitch it together in photoshop, just like a panoramic multi-part scan. I have scanned 16x20 prints of images I could not find the negative for. If the flatbed scanner has a transparency lid (light in lid) then it can be done. One could also put the larger than 8x10 negative on a light box (masking around it) and then scan it with a scanning back on a 4x5 camera. These scanning backs are not cheap though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Durst Pro has a couple of large enlargers on Ebay now. One of them is a 12X16 vertical. It will make the camera and lenses look cheap in comparison.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format

scratches & pits in glass....

Just received my V750-M from Calumet. Set everything up and am playing with negative scanning today (just posted "Driftwood - 3" for your comments). Scanner glass looked perfect until the transparency light came on... then I noticed an inch long scratch and a couple of pits in the glass of the non-lid part. Is this normal (I think not)....? For $750 I'd like the glass to be perfect.

Call calumet and exchange it for another scanner....????

susan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin