Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,425   Online: 808

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

11x14 enlarger/scanner

Hello....

This is my first post on Apug.

im currently using a 4x5 camera and seeking to upgrade to a larger format.

At the moment im not seeking to contact print i want to enlarge and scan.

So, im looking for a enlarger that can handle 11x14 negatives and a scanner. I want to be able to do really large prints if i want to, to have the ability. I have a bit tight with space, so i was thinking converting another camera with a cold light.

Tried to get some answers on another forum, but didnt see that i got any replies that made me happy.

Are 11x14 the wrong format for me? should i upgrade to 8x10? But i keep thinking bigger film will make bigger prints with high detail, ofcourse i wont make meter sized prints at my home, but i want to know that i can if i want to.

Cheers Johannes from sweden.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you are looking to enlarge, either 5x7 or 8x10 would be your best bets. Larger than 8x10 and you will find the size of equipment needed will go up exponentially, as will the cost. The logistical hassles in enlarging from an 11x14 negative will also increase. That will basically require a glass negative carrier, and that much more attention to dust removal, since you will have that many more square inches to attract it.

The same problems will occur with scanners. There are very few scanners out there which can handle bigger than 8x10 negatives, and they are ridiculously expensive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    11x14" enlargers exist if you have the space (they are usually horizontal enlargers), and they can be constructed out of old process cameras and such, but 8x10" gives you a lot more options in terms of camera equipment, lenses, enlargers, film choices, filmholders, etc. I shoot 11x14" and I contact print that size.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's a lab in Stockholm (Forstöringsateljéen) which has enlarger capable of taking 20x24" negatives. I would leave the enlarging to them, and provide my very best contact print as a "model" of what I want for the final result.

I have a 5x7" enlarger myself, but have no plans to ever aquire a larger one. 5x7" can be contact printed or enlarged and gives great prints both ways. 8x10" enlargers are just too big; anything bigger even more so.

I've recently got hold of a 24x30cm plate camera, and have decided to drop 11x14" and bigger (30x40cm). The 24x30cm is close enough to 8x10" to be easily portable, and just enough bigger to make a great difference in contact prints!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you wish to do very large enlargements from large negs you will need a great deal of room -- eventhough the negs are bigger the glass is longer so the distance between film and paper is greater.

As others have stated 8x10 is probably a better way to go than 11x14. A 10x10 (for 8x10) enlarger is far more common then an enlarger for 11x14. If you wish to do big (really really big) prints you'll want a horizontal enlarger. A 10x10 vertical Durst needs about 10' and will give you a 30x40. A 10x10 horizontal durst will give you as big a print as you have tracks and wall space. A couple years ago I sold (not my enlarger simply the ebayer) a closed loop, fully automatic 10x10 Durst HL (Horizonal enlarger) with track, computer controller, lenses etc.. for about 3 or 4,000 USD. The enlarger new was about 150-175,000.00 and was in great shape.

As for scanners the same is true. You can buy a very good 8x10 scanner with transparency adapter for about 2,000.00 or a decent one for about 800.00. A comparable XL scanner (Cero eversmart) will run about 6,000 used (15,000 to 30,000 new if they are still made) at the very good end or 2,000.00 new at the decent end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Besides being far less expensive, 8x10 wil prove more efficient than 11x14 to shoot, to enlarge, and to scan. To achieve a negative that is 1.4 times the size of 8x10, you will probably encounter 4x the (already considerable) expense.

Finally, the cost to scan at greater detail than can be achieved by 4x5 will be exceedingly expensive.

best of luck.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Johannes, I've been shooting 11x14 for 2 years or so now. I contact print only, this is realistically your only option, which is fine for me. I look at my old enlargements and as allot of contact printers will tell you there is something intrinsically different in a contact print.

On the flip side, I was interested in seeing what an optical enlargement from 11x14 looked like so I looked high and low for a lab that could create optical enlargements from 11x14 and found none. I would say go with 5x7 or 8x10 if you wish to make sizable enlargements.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    As almost everyone else has advised, if you want to enlarge, stay with 8x10. I enlarge 8x10, and the prints (up to around 3x) are gorgeous! And doing your own enlarging is much more affordable than having a commercial lab do it. But if you do want prints larger than 24x30 or so, then Ole has the best suggestion….send them to that lab in Stockholm (Forstöringsateljéen).
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Johannes,

If you have the time, the space, and the money, then the desire is all that's left. There are people who buy big 4x4's with huge engines and only drive them to work on city streets. If it makes you happy and you can handle all that goes along with it then go for it.

I think what most of us here would say is that the largest negative we would want to enlarge is in the 8x10 inch range. But if you need billboard size then that's a good reason. I myself don't have the money to buy the equipment or the space needed. Anyone shooting 11x14 already has the taking equipment and a larger lens can certainly be had, but the enlarger would surely have to be a horizontal and then there is the space needed for projection. A lot to consider. It sounds ambitious, let us know what turns out.

Best Luck,

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first portrait I shot in 11x14 was lovely.

The family ordered lots of extra prints.... wallets.

d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin