Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,409   Posts: 1,596,447   Online: 823

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I think ULF is actually quite transportable but it depends on how how much you're willing to invest in the logistics of packing the beast around though. It is definately slower going. I place limits on how many film holders and lenses I can take (no problem---I only have two 12x20 holders anyway and both my lenses are close in focal length, differing only in contrast) The truly awkward part is the heavy tripod, but if I really want to get a shot on 12x20 I can almost always find a way to do it. Vittorio Sella took a ULF that shot glass plates to the top of the alps---certainly we can be at least as creative when it comes to problem solving!

For me anyway, problem solving is part of the fun of ULF.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    "I'm blaming this mainly on the bulk and weight of using the larger camera. "

Congratulations. You're the first person I can recall who blames it all on the equipment and then goes on to make a good case for it really being the equipment (or, more accurately, problems encountered in using the equipment).

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    This year I purchased a 8x20. much bigger and harder to handle than a 8x10. taking photos is different to. But then I thought back to when I went from 4x5 to 8x10 and how the same situations occured (not finding good shots and everything just wasn't working right). I didn't find any good photos at first and it was harder to handle. Now I feel that my 8x10 is small and almost like using a 4x5. It takes time I think to change fromats and size and feel somewhat comfortable. If traveling is a problem use the smaller formats to give you that freedom. For the first time I used my 2 1/4 camera in years at a freinds house to just poke around his back yard. I got some great shots. Not that I couldn't have gotten them with a 8x10 but it was 98 deg outside and drinking gin and tonics I didn't feel like dragging it out of the truck so I used the 2/14 and a tripod he lent me and played around. What I learned was that I woud have never gotten those shots it I had not pulled out the little camera. He told me some of the palms I photographed were trimed the next day, so coming back was n't a option.
    I think you will find all the cameras have their place and the 11x14 will fall into it's place soon enough.

Regards Mike A
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    After using the camera for quite awhile longer, I have determined that its not the fact of shooting with a heavy ULF that has made me want to stick with 8x10...but rather the design and function of this camera that I dislike using and does not really fit my needs. Second, the 11x14 image size is not really to my liking. Panoramic (8x20 in particular) fit my needs and vision much better then 11x14 does. Even back when I used to make enlargments, I would avoid 11x14 print size because it was not to my liking.

Ive been looking thru an 8x20 camera for the past month, and think I will change to that format soon. 8x10 is still a great format, and will stick with that for the time being.

Anyone interested in my 11x14 camera, its still available for sale or trade. Some people would really love this size...so I hope it can go to someone that can really make use of it!

All the best,

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin