Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,911   Online: 1117

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilford 11x14 Film Problem

Yesterday I opened the first of two boxes of Ilford FP4 11x14 purchased as part of last winter's special order. After several unsuccessful attempts to get the film into the holder I had the feeling that something was really wrong. I closed the box and looked at the $8 piece of film now in the daylight and realized that it was too wide to go into the holder. The film measured 11 1/16" x 14". My holders are S&S and the film is simply too wide.

Has anyone else experienced difficulty with their Ilford order?
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's weird. I had some 7x17 HP-5 a few years ago that was short in the 17" dimension by about 1/8 of an inch. That is a much more palatable problem. I would contact the dealer and get Ilford to replace the film. It isn't much good to you like this.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    How much wider? If its quite abit...it can be a problem, but if its just a tad then it might be the holders. I use some older Kodak, Empire State and other older wooden holders and I find that all the films I use are too SMALL on the 11" side. The film often shifts around and has even come out of the slots.

I just measured a sheet of EFKE 25 and it measures 10 15/16"x13 15/16" exactly. What does your Ilford film measure?

Its its alot larger, just return it too the place you purchased it from. Maybe are you sliding it in at a slight angle, which would cause it to hangup on a side?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Will,

I am sorry you have experienced a problem, as an FYI we have had no similar experiences with our ULF run ( to date ) : Please check to see if the other sheets are the same, if they are return it to your supplier and we will replace the film, sorry you ahve experienced this problem.

Regards

Simon, ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Simon,

Thank you for your prompt response. I will check another sheet from the first box and one or two from the second box as well. I'm curious if other 11x14 film purchasers haven't opened their film yet. It would be very strange if this were limited to my film. Yet the sheet I measured was 11 1/16" on the short side. And definitely too wide to go into the holder.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Wow! That is a whole 1/8" thicker then Efke and Arista EDU 11x14 film. I find that the Arista and Efke film are almost too small though, and shift around alot while in the holder.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin