Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,268   Posts: 1,534,353   Online: 835

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    The Fujinon-C 600mm is a rather rare lens to find use, but they run about 1,400 brand new. They are only going to go up in price as well.

Last month I saw a beat-up old Fujinon-C 600mm lens sell on Ebay for pennies cheeper then it is new. It was not mint and was also in a old dirty shutter.

So...you know what lens my vote goes for. I'm going to pick one up for myself as soon as I can afford it.
    BTW, I am going to offer for sell my 600mm Fujinon-C on ebay soon, unless someone here is interested. I lost my mind and bought a 550mm XXL and won't really need the Fujinon any more.

It is a great lens, in Mint condition in a black Copal #3 shutter working perfectly. Multi-coated and covers 12X20 with lots of movement. Contact me if interested.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Sandy,

You didn't lose you mind, but possibly most of your marbles.

The 550XXL is a large lens, so for real light travel, a 600C may still be worthwhile to have in the stable. Depending on the format you are using, you may never really need the awesome coverage of the 550XXL on the smaller ULF formats. For your large camera, the 550XXL is the way to go, but for 7x17, it's a bit harder to justify because it has so much extra coverage. It's not unlike using a 150 or 210 SS XL on 4x5 (which some people do, BTW).

That said, I would recommend to Mike that the 600C is possibly the best lightweight option out there, especially if having the lens in a shutter is desired. I wouldn't be without it when in the field with the 7x17.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I'm resigned to the Fuji everyone that uses it seems to like it. Although I have my eye on a rodenstock Ronar for sale but I think this beast is way to big.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Up to 480mm the APO Ronars are quite compact and light lenses, less than 1Kg. Anything bigger is way too heavy.

G

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    Sandy,

You didn't lose you mind, but possibly most of your marbles.

The 550XXL is a large lens, so for real light travel, a 600C may still be worthwhile to have in the stable. Depending on the format you are using, you may never really need the awesome coverage of the 550XXL on the smaller ULF formats. For your large camera, the 550XXL is the way to go, but for 7x17, it's a bit harder to justify because it has so much extra coverage. It's not unlike using a 150 or 210 SS XL on 4x5 (which some people do, BTW).

That said, I would recommend to Mike that the 600C is possibly the best lightweight option out there, especially if having the lens in a shutter is desired. I wouldn't be without it when in the field with the 7x17.

---Michael
    Michael,

Yes, I did have to use up a lot of marbles to get the 550 mm XXL. So many of them that I feel compelled to sell off a bit of equipment, including the 600mm Fujinon-C. It is a great lens but I still have a 450 Nikkor M and a 750 mm Red Dot Artar so I should be able to do without it.

BTW, I had another look at your article on the 550 XXL in View Camera. Where did you get the information about the adjustment of the Dagor design to give better coverage on the corners? Is this information that Schneider has published somewhere or did you obtain it directly by disucssion with Schneider? If the information is available somewhere on the net please direct me to it.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Sandy,

The information came from an engineer at Schneider. From my understanding, they basically revisited the optical formula and cell spacing to improve performance across the field.

As you know, it is possible with some (possibly many) optical formulas to improve center performance at the expense of corner performance and vice-versa. This is essentially my understanding of at least part of what they did. They also have much more precise grinding and centering capabilities now, which should show up in improved performance as well, in addition to improved sample-to-sample consistancy.

It's possible that many older Dagors were geared toward center performance due to the requirements of the lenses in their original design intent. The XXL is intended for what you will be using it for, so they probably did not compromise the corners in favor of the center.

This is exactly what happened with the G Claron line about a decade ago. I was told that Schneider made a decision to adjust the spacing of the shutter mounted G Clarons to improve corner sharpness in response to the use of these lenses by ULF shooters. They recognized that the in-shutter lenses were not being used for copy work and that the center performance is much less important at the very high level it was performing, while the corners were more important to be improved, so they made the change.

There may be an oblique reference to the optical changes in the brochure that Schneider has on their site. I don't recall what it says, but I think there might have been a reference to the corner performance.

Here's a hint on the lens, use it in stealth mode... the brass barrel pieces are a spun or machined cowling that is screwed onto the real barrel, which is black. You can probably lose a pound and a half or more by removing the brass pieces and using it without them. As far as I'm concerned, the brass seems a little out of place on a modern camera, unless it has a bordello-red bellows. It's a bit too showy for my taste.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Michael,

Thanks for the information. Do you know if Schnider has posted a cross section of the 550 XXL. I did not even know it was a modified Dagor design until I read your article in View Camera.

That sounds like good news about the brass. I was thinking that the appearance of the lens was a little too retro. Glad to know I have the option of removing the brass and reducing the weight.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    www.mutmansky.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    Michael,

Thanks for the link.

And BTW, I found your article in VC very interesting and informative. I had pretty much decided that this lens was not really something that would add much to my work with ULF, but some of your explanations and examples caused me to see otherwise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Sandy,

I hope that this lens is the start of a whole line. I could certainly see a 210 and 300mm lenses fitting in nicely, and there are many, many people out there that would be able to take advantage of lenses in these focal lengths, from 8x10 on up.

Frankly, I'm surprised a Chinese manufacturer has not jumped on board with a reintroduction of WA Dagor designs to meet the LF/ULF market, especially considering the very high value the Zeiss WA dagors go for on ebay. Maybe someone should talk Arax into making a batch of Computars or something similar.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin