Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,230   Online: 992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel with ULF

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Travel with ULF

Hello.

How do you ULF:ers travel with your camera, if you do?

is it safe to get a custom case for the camera? will that be enough protection agains the bagage thro...errhhmm i mean handlers.

Do you take it as hand luggage and pay the over wheigt?

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    35mm RF
    By Land Rover, not by air. My 12x15 Gandolfi, in case, with three holders, weighs almost 30 kg (66 lb).

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    By Land Rover, not by air. My 12x15 Gandolfi, in case, with three holders, weighs almost 30 kg (66 lb).

Cheers,

Roger

But i have the "problem" that i have to go get the camera, if i choose the 11x14 format. the shipping cost will be the same as a plane ticket .. and i will feel more comfortable with it.

Then i can give my self a weekend to.

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I travel with the 8x10" and smaller cameras, but haven't flown with the 11x14" yet. The 8x10" is small enough to carry on board with lenses, film and accessories, all in an ordinary knapsack designed for laptop computers. I check my tripod in a Tenba TTP case and pack my empty filmholders in my checked baggage.

The 11x14" is too big to carry on board, so I'm thinking of getting a Strebor custom case for it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Johannes,

To me, ULF ain't as important as a weekend away. If the ULF puts it out of range -- no ULF!

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear Johannes,

To me, ULF ain't as important as a weekend away. If the ULF puts it out of range -- no ULF!

Cheers,

Roger

I mean while i go get the camera, There are absolutly NO dealers in sweden for this.

And the shipping cost for a 11x14 would probably cost me as much as a plane ticket to go get it in personal.

Then i can treat me a weekend AND get the camera for the cost of shippment....

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I travel with the 8x10" and smaller cameras, but haven't flown with the 11x14" yet. The 8x10" is small enough to carry on board with lenses, film and accessories, all in an ordinary knapsack designed for laptop computers. I check my tripod in a Tenba TTP case and pack my empty filmholders in my checked baggage.

The 11x14" is too big to carry on board, so I'm thinking of getting a Strebor custom case for it.

That exactly what i was thinking to.... Would you feel safe with a case and trust it to be left as regular luggage?

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, the only other options are shooting a smaller format or shipping the camera ahead, in which case it still needs a shippable case.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just did a trip to South Africa with an 11x14 Phillips compact. I bought a Parker shipping case which accomodated the camera and 3 holders - that was one sub 50lb piece of checked baggage and I checked the tripod (a CF Gitzo), change tent and other bits and pieces in my other bag. No problems at all - in fact, it's really very little more effort than an 8x10. The camera weighs 16lbs (with a plexi GG which Bruce Wehman kindly made for me), the holders are around 3lbs each and Parker shipping cases are lighter than most. For lenses, I carry a Computar 240mm and a Cooke XVa - the latter with an extra front element: the lenses give me the following focal lengh combinations - 240mm, 311mm, 368mm, 476mm and 646mm - a great range for my needs and really light considering it all functions with only two shutters. I have a handful of 77mm filters and a couple of step up rings and a 77mm wide angle rubber hood. I actually chose 11x14 based on it's portability for travel. 7x17 is equally easy, but anything larger becomes a big headache for airline travel. It's all about planning and effort...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bherg
    I mean while i go get the camera, There are absolutly NO dealers in sweden for this.
    Dear Johannes,

Oh, dear. I see the problem. Sorry I misunderstood.

LF cameras are pretty tough. A good, foam-rubber-padded case (or lots of bubble wrap) should be adequate protection even against baggage hurlers. Insure it, though, mainly against loss.

Cheers,

Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin