Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,399   Online: 801

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pumping Wood

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mmmmmmmm... Leica........
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp
    Will wrote: 4x5's starting to look pretty good about now...

This is from the man who was looking forward to doing 5x7 contacts last time we met?

I think you are approaching the problem from the wrong direction. Golfers have caddies, you know.
    ..and the man who advertised for a Philips 7x17. Will, I carry mine in a baby jogger. I wonder if anyone makes a motorized baby jogger. Might have trouble getting that by the Park Ranger on the non motorized vehicle trails.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp
    This is from the man who was looking forward to doing 5x7 contacts last time we met?
    Hey, 5x7's still one of my 10 favorite formats!

Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    ..and the man who advertised for a Philips 7x17....
    All the more reason to get a Phillips. I still want one!

And sorry, the 11x14 is not for sale. I'm afraid the original post is more a commentary on age and atrophying muscle than it is on formats. (But maybe the 11x14 is better left nearer to the car...)
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Will, you were obviously just showing off for those other Ape Huggers. Everyone knows with cameras that big the good shots are always within 60 paces of the car that brought them.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reminded me of an old 70's song, "Silly Willy"
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My siberian huskie helps me pull my gear and he loves it. Of course not in this heat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    that would be husky...oops

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I'm familiar with that form of morning-after syndrome, Will, I think your approach to the problem may require re-thinking. If, for example, you were to hire a couple of members of the Swedish Bikini Team as assistants, they could both carry the equipment and serve as massage therapists afterward. (Just thinking about hauling an 11x14 in a backpack makes my muscles tense.)
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will,

Now you know why many of us use 4X5 and QL/Readyload film especially if shooting chromes.

The Leicas may look good at this point, but then for really small and light how about the Rollei 35S?

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dick Arentz told me once that the greatest views for 12X20 cameras are always found within 50 feet of your vehicle. If just anyone had told me that, well, I might doubt the truth of the statement, but being that it was Arentz I pretty much took it for truth. I confirmed this truth once by hiking about a mile with the 12X20 on my back, with the tripod, some holders and a couple of lenses. When I reached the spot I realized that the better view was from the car, so I trudged back up the mountain and made the negative. Some truths just can not be challenged.

It is curious how such truths are revealed to us. Several years ago I was driving along a dusty road in Nine Mile Canyon in Utah and saw a panel of rattlesnake petroglyphs on a cliff about 150 feet from the road, across a small stretch of sage bush. It seemed at first obvious that the better view of the panel would be had by walking through the sage bush and climbing up to the panel, using my 12X20 camera. However, about half way through the bush I saw a small rattlesnake violently shaking its rattles about 1.5 feet from my left foot. After very carefully extricating myself from this difficult situation I thought for a few minutes about the petroglyph, and two thoughts eventually came to mind. First, those native americans who made the rattlesnake petroglyphs some centuries before really knew this area, and two, I realized that it was much too late in the evening to continue through the bush to the panel, and that the best view of the rattlesnake panel would be with a medium format camera with a telphoto lense, stading near the car. It also crossed my mind that there might well be a lot more rattlesnakes out there between me and the panel.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 07-25-2006 at 02:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin