Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,191   Online: 959

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pumping Wood

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mmmmmmm.....Explorer...

Seriously - if you really want to schlep around with an 11x14, Dick's Explorer model is the only choice. In my experience, there should be a special name for that sweat that trickles down everywhere when you have severely overburdened yourself with a big heavy camera and more gear, filmholders etc than you could ever use, but you are halfway there and even if the shot is only "so,so", you're still going where no man has gone before with a whateverXwaytoobig camera....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe a Ford Explorer...
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's like a cheap and nasty CF tripod isn't it - it would prefer to be "turned over"?...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I'm 54 and I travel with a 8x20, but the backpack I use goes on a luggage cart with big wheels so I can get it through the mud and sand of the swampy areas I photography. I can see why as you get older you go smaller (cameras that is). But after lugging this thing for a half hour in 95 deg temps and 100% humidity. You start having second thought about getting under that darkcloth. But when your in the darkroom and see the images all that suffering is forgotten till next time. Did I say anything about mosquitoes.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Two words: Ibuprofen Loading.

I learned this from a brain surgeon--yes, a real brain surgeon. Start taking Ibuprofen the night before a long hike, workout, photo trip, etc. Take Ibupropfen the day of the work out in the recommended dose and at the recommended times. It works as an anti-inflammatory and helps to keep you from getting sore in the first place.

Try it. I see a 16x20 in your future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday
    Two words: Ibuprofen Loading.
    I'll have to consider that. Up until now I'd only tried "alcohol loading", but I don't think it's the same thing.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's one no one has mentioned; hire college students to mule for you. They'll work for pizza and beer. Just make sure you do the photography BEFORE the pizza and beer.

Seriously, the weight of my 8x20 Korona is low enough to make short hikes doable, but there are generally two obstacles to overcome. One is bulk and the other is a carryable tripod.

The camera itself is big but carryable in a large backpack, but a couple of film holders and lenses will be the limit.

Typically I'd use a Ries A-100, but not for hiking. A Gitzo 1500 series CF with some kind of head and plate to better support the Korona's 80-year old base glue would be a lot better.

I think using such a setup a mile or two would be possible for most normally active people. Light 7x17s would be even better.

Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin