Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,444   Online: 1067
      
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11
    pandino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chihuahua, MX
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    160
    Images
    5
    Thanks for everybody's input. From the auction pics, I figured it was either a pygmy washer & dryer or an 11x14. If you look closely at the GG pic, you can see the 11x14 grid.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    In that case, that was a STEAL on the 11x14. You might want to talk to Ryan Macintosh about his experience with the Burke & James 11x14. If you decide to keep it, your wife will start to ask if you have a new mistress named Ebay>Cameras&Photo>Lenses>For Large Format, because you'll be spending a LOT of time scouring the listings for lenses to cover the format.
    That ship has sailed.... Between work and a wireless network at home, the laptop only sleeps when I do. How do you think I found this gem?


    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    That was a KILLER deal. Selling that beast should easily be able to fund an entire 5x7 outfit. I have an old Korona 5x7 that is actually lighter than my 4x5 cameras and is a joy to use. They can be had pretty cheap and 5x7 cameras can probably use some of your 4x5 lenses. The contact prints are great. The tripod required isn't really different from 4x5 as they're comparable weight (although I tend to use a heavier tripod anyway for stability). Film is a little pricier than 4x5, but it's worth it. Right now J&C has a deal on 8x10 400 speed film that is cheaper than 5x7, so I'm looking at cutting some down and doubling the savings.

    I shoot 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 and 8x20, but the 5x7 is the most fun. It just seems the "right" size for initmate lanscape prints and nice portraits. 8x10 prints are nicer, but the cameras are much heavier and the dimensions aren't as pleasing for many subjects.

    I have a B&J 8x10 reducing back for the 11x14 that I might be willing to part with. I was going to make a homemade 8x10 out of it. But I think you'll find the 11x14 too heavy to carry, so unless you're only shooting indoors I'd vote for reaping the profit and raking it back into a smaller format.
    That was kind of my thinking. I'm hoping to at least come out of this with a 5x7 outfit or an 8x10 at best....either at my zero-net budget would be nice.

    Thanks to all those who PM'd about buying it. If I make a decision to sell, I'll post it in the classifieds here first. I'd really like to take a shot or two before passing it on.

  2. #12
    df cardwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Dearborn,Michigan & Cape Breton Island
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,342
    Images
    8
    I shoot 35mm with a fire I never dreamt of until had had been an 8x10 and 11x14 shooter for a couple decades. Clean technique, a good body and a single lens, make images few LF'ers can touch: you just have to commit to it.

    And it makes pictures without all the drama and hardship.

    But I guess you really have to work through it: not until you are sick of all the LF rubbish that stands between one and the image do you see the virtue of a small camera. If you want to go with sheets, clarify your technique and stick with 4x5.

    d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

    -Bertrand Russell

  3. #13
    resummerfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    That was a KILLER deal. Selling that beast should easily be able to fund an entire 5x7 outfit. I have an old Korona 5x7 that is actually lighter than my 4x5 cameras and is a joy to use. They can be had pretty cheap and 5x7 cameras can probably use some of your 4x5 lenses. The contact prints are great. The tripod required isn't really different from 4x5 as they're comparable weight (although I tend to use a heavier tripod anyway for stability). Film is a little pricier than 4x5, but it's worth it. Right now J&C has a deal on 8x10 400 speed film that is cheaper than 5x7, so I'm looking at cutting some down and doubling the savings.

    I shoot 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 and 8x20, but the 5x7 is the most fun. It just seems the "right" size for initmate lanscape prints and nice portraits. 8x10 prints are nicer, but the cameras are much heavier and the dimensions aren't as pleasing for many subjects.

    I have a B&J 8x10 reducing back for the 11x14 that I might be willing to part with. I was going to make a homemade 8x10 out of it. But I think you'll find the 11x14 too heavy to carry, so unless you're only shooting indoors I'd vote for reaping the profit and raking it back into a smaller format.
    Terence echos my sentiments exactly. It is a Killer Deal, but with 11x14 you will be spending so much more to operate it. I would consider trading/selling it for a nice 5x7.
    —Eric

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    6,242
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    I shoot 35mm with a fire I never dreamt of until had had been an 8x10 and 11x14 shooter for a couple decades. Clean technique, a good body and a single lens, make images few LF'ers can touch: you just have to commit to it.

    And it makes pictures without all the drama and hardship.

    But I guess you really have to work through it: not until you are sick of all the LF rubbish that stands between one and the image do you see the virtue of a small camera. If you want to go with sheets, clarify your technique and stick with 4x5.

    d
    I totally agree with this...
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

    Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    There is no question but that a larger camera will make you a much better photographer. And you won't even have to try to improve. Moreover, when you take the larger camera out you will get a lot more attention. People will immediately understand that you are a serious photographer and have a lot of respect for your photographs. And even if your work is not entirely satisfactory, when you pull it out and show people they will be to ashamed to say anything negative about the work, because with the big camera you have already established your credentials.

    Best part, you won't have to waste a lot of money on negatives. You can just print the same one ten or twelve times since everything made with a large camera is a masterpiece by definition.

    Please do not consider that the fact that I sell large format film holders is in any way influencing my advice, even though S&S will be happy to take a couple of thousand off your hand for five or six nice holders. As for the kids, hell, just forget them. They are going to grown up anyway and be asking you for money thirty years from now. I know this for a fact since I have a 38 year old daughter who just asked me to loan her $25,000 because she neglected to pay her taxes last year. So, just go ahead and put yourself in a situation where the family won't be fighting over your money. Spend it now while you are young enough to enjoy it and you will solve a lot of future family problems.

    Best,

    Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 07-29-2006 at 07:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  6. #16
    colrehogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,016
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    16
    I started out in LF shooting 4x5 and moved up to 8x10 & more recently started shooting 5x12. Anyway, the things that I shoot fit mostly in the 8x10 image area (note, the 5x12 diagonal is similar to 8x10). What I am trying to say, is that if you would feel more comfortable with a 5x7, then I think you should go for it and get a 5x7. You will make more images that fit your way of seeing and isn't that why we take pictures, to express how we see the world?

    Just my 2¢ worth.
    Diane

    Halak 41

  7. #17
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,487
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    I shoot 35mm with a fire I never dreamt of until had had been an 8x10 and 11x14 shooter for a couple decades. Clean technique, a good body and a single lens, make images few LF'ers can touch: you just have to commit to it.

    And it makes pictures without all the drama and hardship.

    But I guess you really have to work through it: not until you are sick of all the LF rubbish that stands between one and the image do you see the virtue of a small camera. If you want to go with sheets, clarify your technique and stick with 4x5.

    d
    I definitely agree that shooting LF for a while will make you a better shooter in small formats, as you figure out what each format does best.

    For myself, I found it easier to "clarify my technique" in LF with 8x10" than with 4x5". The groundglass is big enough to see what's going on easily without a loupe (though I've always used a loupe for fine focus, of course), and it makes a good sized contact print. I think I only felt comfortable with 4x5" after working with 8x10" for a couple of years.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,346
    Sandy has a point. The first time I saw one of my 8x10 negs I almost soiled myself out of joy. The contact print had a similar effect. I hesitate to call it a masterpiece but it certainly wows me everytime. I haven't developed one of the 8x20 shots yet, but I'm sure I'll need to put paper down first before viewing it.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    145
    Images
    2
    Terence

    Sarcasm hasn't made an impact on your life yet?

  10. #20
    pandino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chihuahua, MX
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    160
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    There is no question but that a larger camera will make you a much better photographer. And you won't even have to try to improve. Moreover, when you take the larger camera out you will get a lot more attention. People will immediately understand that you are a serious photographer and have a lot of respect for your photographs. And even if your work is not entirely satisfactory, when you pull it out and show people they will be to ashamed to say anything negative about the work, because with the big camera you have already established your credentials.

    Best part, you won't have to waste a lot of money on negatives. You can just print the same one ten or twelve times since everything made with a large camera is a masterpiece by definition.

    Please do not consider that the fact that I sell large format film holders is in any way influencing my advice, even though S&S will be happy to take a couple of thousand off your hand for five or six nice holders.....
    So that's how I validate the seriousness of my work.... ULF and S&S holders! And all this time I thought it was Leica & Pyro. Thanks for putting me on the straight and narrow, Sandy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    Sandy has a point. The first time I saw one of my 8x10 negs I almost soiled myself out of joy. The contact print had a similar effect.
    I'll definitely have to try it. I haven't had a good soiling since my father-in-law met me at the door with a revolver and a grimace. (He thought I was an intruder)

    I may have a line on a cheap lens and holder from a generous APUG'er. Can't wait to give it a try.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin