Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,742   Posts: 1,515,596   Online: 940

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    Matt- does warming up the PoTox make that muc of a difference? I usually print with it at room temperature, and have been for the most part happy with my results. What would printing it warm do for me that it isn't doing at room temperature?
    Scott, the tone is alot warmer Ive found. getting the developer too warm around 160degrees+ Ive noticed some burning in the unexposed areas of the coating. warming it to 120degree compared to room temp the middle tones and middle to shadows give a much warmer tone.

Thanks everyone for the comments and such.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Matt,

If you want to experiment a bit, try double-coating the Platine. You can either do 2 full-strength coats or one full coat and one diluted 1:1 with water or 2 coats diluted 2:1 (sensitizer:water). Typically, double-coating Platine will boost your DMAX and contrast somewhat (maybe too much for your contrastier negs). You will also need to increase your exposure about 25% or so. Keep rockin'...
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ok- so the temperature boost changes the color tone of the image. I'm pretty happy with how warm my images are turning out already, so I don't think I need to heat up my developer, but it's a nice trick to have to add to the arsenal.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Third image is an absolute home run. If there aren't 30 triangular shapes in that one photograph there isn't one.

Outstanding Matt
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    thanks alot all. appreciate peoples thoughts.

Kerik, thanks for the info. I have not tried double coating the Platine yet, have tried with Rives BFK and the distilled water cutting. It made a noticeable difference with an 8x10 HP5 negative in particular. Will have to try it with the Arches Platine as well. Might use that same HP5 neg as it can use the boost in apparent DMAX.

thanks again all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The last two really got me in the gut and made my head swim just a little bit. Thanks for sharing

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman
    Third image is an absolute home run. If there aren't 30 triangular shapes in that one photograph there isn't one.

Outstanding Matt
    I really agree with this assessment. I'm very fond of the third one, because there are so many dynamic angles that your eye keeps wandering around and around within the image, but never twice in the same path.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I like the way the bottom 2 images work together.
    Ron
    Memphis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm

I used Arches Platine paper. Ive pretty some 8x10s with it once before but thought Id try out some 7x17 negs on it to see how I like it.
    All four of these are printed on platine, palladium, with Na2, developed in Pot. Oxalate at 120degrees. Would love to hear what people think of them both as a group or as individual images.
    Thanks for posting these images. I think they hang together very well as a group and would be best displayed that way. In fact, you might consider returning and adding to the portfolio.

The inside/outside images look a bit hot to me. If you return and photograph there again consider exposing and developing for a higher SBR to increase shadow density and reduce contrast.

I take my hat off to you. Photograhing in San Antonio in July/August shows real committment.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 08-04-2006 at 10:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    You can heat up the developer to near 200F for a warmer effect. If you do a straight pd print in very hot developer, they are quite brown.

Very nice work Matt
    Wow! 200F! With 120F potassium oxalate i get an ES of about 2.3, seems like you would need a real contrasty negative for 200F PO.
    Don Bryant

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin