Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,946   Online: 796

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Widest angle lens available for 11x14

I finally got my 11x14 Empire State Restored... I want to shoot the widest angle lens possible with it can anyone recommend a lens for it? I love wide angle and the aspects of it... Its just amazing to me.... Any help would be greatly appreciated... Im not really into that much movements but some will help...Thanks

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The 11x14" needs something like 450mm image circle.

Roghly speaking, 135 degrees coverage is 5x focal length, 110 degrees is 3x, 100 degrees is 2.4x and 90 degrees is 2x.

There is only one 135 degree lens, the Goerz Hypergon. The 9cm Hypergon should cover.

There are several 110 degree lenses, both modern and classic. At 100 degrees you would need a 188mm lens to cover, so a 210mm Super-Angulon or Super-Symmar XL have coverage to spare. More "limited" is the old 210 Angulon - the coverage was said to be 100 degrees in the 1930's, while today Schneider says it's 80 degrees. I use mine on 12x16"...

There are also a lot of old WA Aplanats and Anastigmats you might consider, especially as most of them will cost less than $50. I've used a 150mm WA Aplanat on 9.5x12" (24x30cm, diagonal 360mm) film with good results. So a 19cm Busch WA Aplanat should just do it
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Are we talking absolutes or affordables? My 7-1/4 inch/184mm f/16 Ross Wide Angle Anastigmat covers 11x14 inch OK, but it's stretched at 12x15 inch.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Here is a link to a 74 post thread (at this moment) on 7x17 lenses. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...earchid=281367
    As Ole said 11x14 uses a 450mm image circle. 7x17 needs 466mm. You may find the extensive lists and debate useful for this question and many others related to your lens needs. I have found it so for my 7x17 education.

Enjoy,

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Hypergon that Ole mentions is probably the widest, if you can find one and can afford it. Occasionally one sees a "skyscraper camera" designed to shoot just this lens.

The widest lens I use on 11x14" is the 10" Wide-Field Ektar, which isn't too hard to find.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I frequently use a Computar 240mm (most Kowa Graphic 240mms are identical). A 210mm Computar just covers too. I recently took a shot with my Schneider 150mm XL stopped way down (f64) and it covers - even with the necessary center filter in place. It is extremely wide though and probably not feasible on a lot of 11x14s due to bellows compression. However, the resulting image was plenty sharp enough for an Azo contact print to appear perfectly sharp in the corners - I was astounded that it not only covered, but also how sharp it stayed into the corners.

The 240mm Computar (or Kowa) is an outstanding 11x14 wide angle - there's a bit of room for movements at typical shooting apertures too and it is razor sharp.
    Last edited by Donsta; 08-05-2006 at 09:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donsta
    I frequently use a Computar 240mm (most Kowa Graphic 240mms are identical). A 210mm Computar just covers too. I recently took a shot with my Schneider 150mm XL stopped way down (f64) and it covers - even with the necssary center filter in place. It is extremely wide though and probably not feasible on a lot of 11x14s due to bellows compression. However, the resulting image was plenty sharp enough for an Azo contact print to appear perfectly sharp in the corners - I was astounded that it not only covered, but also how sharp it stayed into the corners.

The 240mm Computar (or Kowa) is an outstanding 11x14 wide angle - there's a bit of room for movements at typical shooting apertures too and it is razor sharp.
    There are quite a number of choices, but in the extreme wide angle arena, old or new, choices are going to be very, very expensive. Anyone know the going price of a 135mm Goerz Hypergon?

One reasonbaly common old lens that you might consider is the 8X10, or 183mm, Series V Protar, either Zeiss or B&L. Mine just barely misses on 7X17 but would definitely cover 11X14. Stopped down of course. 210mm Series V Protar would also cover, but it will also cover 12X20 and decent people would kill for them. The 210mm Computar covers (just) , and is very small. The 210mm Super Angulon covers with lots of movement, but is very big. At 240mm the Computar covers with a lot of movement also, but this is getting out of the widest coverage possible. 240mm (9 1/2") Dagor will also cover (at least some of them) but performance on the edges will be poor, even stopped down. But one of my favorite images of all time, one that I show a lot, was made on 11X14 with a very, very old Goerz Berlin Doppel Anastigmat.

All in all I would say that the 183 (8X10) Series Protar is best value when extreme coverage and price are weighed. But, while not rare, you won't find one of these every day either. Or, if 240mm is ok, try to find one of those Kowa Grahic mentioned by Don that could be of Computar design.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 08-05-2006 at 11:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Are we talking absolutes or affordables? My 7-1/4 inch/184mm f/16 Ross Wide Angle Anastigmat covers 11x14 inch OK, but it's stretched at 12x15 inch.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)
    Roger,

Do you know the desgin of the 184mm f16 Ross Wide Angle Anastigmat? Ross made a lot of lens of Anastigmat name that were really Protars. Sounds like this one may be same as the 8X10 or 183 f/18 Series V Protar?

Sandy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Roger,

Do you know the desgin of the 184mm f16 Ross Wide Angle Anastigmat? Ross made a lot of lens of Anastigmat name that were really Protars. Sounds like this one may be same as the 8X10 or 183 f/18 Series V Protar?

Sandy
    Dear Sandy,

(Picks up lens from desk; unscrews front cell). From the reflections it looks liike a 4-glass symmetrical in two cemented doublets: I can't see the reflections I'd expect from 2x triplets, nor does the cell look thick enough, but of course it's TINY: the front and rear glasses are each about the size of my thumbnail. It's probably in the Vademecum.

Cheers,

R.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Zeiss Weitwinkel-Protar F/18 is a 2+2. No triplets. So the Ross lens is probably one of those.

Hypergon: They were made in 6, 7.5, 9, 12, 15 and 20cm focal lengths. So Sandy, there is no going rate for a 135mm!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin