Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,460   Online: 956

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald
    Joe, how is the wooden cradle attached to the tripod plate? Did you cut it so that the fit is very tight? Thanks.

Jim
    IIRC I tapped and drilled through the brass plate and have threaded inserts embedded in the wood to accept the screws from the Majestic head. The brass plate is recessed into the wood rather snugly and it is the same size as a 4" square Bogen quick-release plate I have. So, I can actually mount the cradle on certain Bogen tripods using the central 3/8 -16 threaded knob if I wanted to. (At least that was the plan. I haven't done so yet. I'm building a smaller full-plate camera using the same base and extension rails as the 11x14 so that camera will just slide onto the cradle as well and could be used on the smaller Bogen.)

Joe

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    How about the Arca Cube. It aint cheep, but way coooooooool.

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Ries A250 Double Tilt

I use a Ries A250 double tilt head on a Ries A100 tripod for my Wisner 12x20 Technical Field. The camera weight is 28.5 lbs plus lens, film holder, and dark cloth. The head is expensive but rock solid. It will hold my 12x20 in a vertical orientation on the A100 tripod without a counter weight if I want to shoot a vertical.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dan,

One blurred picture on that mountain you had to climb a few hundred miles from home has put hardware cost into perspective for many of us. I took Bob Herbst's platinum printing course two years in a row and followed his lead for my recently acquired 7x17. The camera is not as heavy as the others mentioned here. I bought both Ries A250 double tilt and a Ries A100 military spec 1950s tripod used on eBay for about 1/2 new. They weigh as much as the camera, but I have had no blurred negatives. Find something to make the lifting easier. I use a baby jogger with 20" wheels and 100 pound shocks. Consider the cost over the years you plan to photograph and quality wins 100%. Next yearís new fad or color doesnít speak very loud in the tripod and tripod head business.

Good luck,

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format

what heads?

There is only one! Sorry to interrupt but other heads seem to be a kids toy beside this! What you see here is an ITE full liquid head on any movements and its adjustable too, lightweight and the top of this thing is a 12x9 cm plate! Designed for a 35 mm movie camera! Made in Austria! This is a real broadcast standard and no bull! Donít you think itís easy to get one its very rare and expencive but if you get your hand lie on one than you begin to wonder like what those others heads are for?
    Last edited by uraniumnitrate; 12-06-2006 at 08:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I tried a fluid head in the past it couldn't handle the weight of my ULF. The lock down on it was weak and while good for video panning not good for heavy cams that need to stay still. Maybe the one I tried was the exception but it just could not hold the camera without tilting on the fluid head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrigan
    I tried a fluid head in the past it couldn't handle the weight of my ULF.
    This is not your average toy you find in photo stores! It's not a pan fluid what ever name they create to sell video world stuff either and I would not show this either if I knew it doesn't work!
    I have used this for years and years and years with my heavy 8x10 Tachihara with lenses on over a kilo!

This is a heavy duty broadcast quality used by film companies and studios this one was designed to hold 35mm regular movie and panorama camera (Arriflex and so an) which weights twice as your what ever ULF you have! ( I think the Corona 20x24 is the heaviest) This is the real fluid not the "fluid effect" head! And how this works? This is adjustable! That means the heavier camera you have the more you strip the flow of the oil! And when you stabilized the thing the position you want to have it holds me too! Iím closely a 100 kilo! So donít worry about your camera worry about how to get one!!!

I forgot to say that this is a 3.5 kilo item and it's steel a lightweight in the broadcast industry!!!! On the photo you don't see the physical size but it's big and dirty! Almost a little perverted! :-) Actually this is a 6.5 inch tall 6 ich wide and 4.5 deep!
    Last edited by uraniumnitrate; 08-14-2006 at 02:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am using Gitzo No.4 on Ries tripod. I tilt my 8x20 Dorf 90 degrees to vertical position to do 20x8 pictures. No problem to hold such a weight even one sided. Camera weights about 20 pounds.
    Peter Hruby
    LF Silver Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by uraniumnitrate
    ...What you see here is an ITE full liquid head ...
    Yeah, but you can't carry those fluid heads on airplanes anymore. Besides, doesn't ITE stand for Improvised Terrorist Explosive?

Yer just askin' fer trouble these days!
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker
    Yeah, but you can't carry those fluid heads on airplanes anymore. Besides, doesn't ITE stand for Improvised Terrorist Explosive?

Yer just askin' fer trouble these days!

It could be who knows! What's the problem with the airplanes? Don't they carry photogrphers any more? :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin