Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,656   Posts: 1,623,716   Online: 1117

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Tripod Heads for ULF cameras

I'm planning ahead for when I get my 8 x 20 finished and thinking about a tripod. I'm spending enough money on camera itself so am looking at cost effective options for the tripod and tripod head. I've found some info on tripods but am curious about what tripod heads some of you have found large enough for a camera that size. Obviosly there is the Ries head (pretty expensive),and from what I see on Ebay, many people seem to be using the Majestic 1200. Clearly, the size of the mounting plate on the head is important so what other heads out there are large enough?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've seen some large Davis and Sanford (sp?) heads on eBay that looked adequate for big cameras. The metal beds were around 6"x9" IIRC.

I ended up making a cradle that I keep permanently attached to a Majestic gearhead and old Majestic studio tripod for my 11x14 Burke and James. The camera slides onto the cradle and a couple thumbscrews tighten to hold the beast in place quickly and easily. The attachment plate is recessed into the cradle to keep the camera from rotating and a center hole permits me to mount other cameras onto the cradle using a 3/8 -16 or 1/4-20 bolt. The Majestic head and tripod were purchased from a studio that was closing due to retirement. I paid $60 for the head and tripod. I previously tried other arrangements (like using two tripods) but this works much better, at least for me.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    I mounted a 12X20 on a Majestic head.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer
    I'm planning ahead for when I get my 8 x 20 finished and thinking about a tripod. I'm spending enough money on camera itself so am looking at cost effective options for the tripod and tripod head. I've found some info on tripods but am curious about what tripod heads some of you have found large enough for a camera that size. Obviosly there is the Ries head (pretty expensive),and from what I see on Ebay, many people seem to be using the Majestic 1200. Clearly, the size of the mounting plate on the head is important so what other heads out there are large enough?
    Dan, I'm using a Majestic head on the tripod that I built for my 8x20. The plate is 6x7 and is very solid. the head weights about 3 pounds! The walnut tripod comes in at about 12 to 13 pounds with the head. Well, this is ULF nothing is light! I like Joe's idea on the plate for the majestic. Great something else to build! It just goes on and on and on.... Well it keeps us out of trouble, yeh right!

Stay Focused...or Soft Focused!!

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Joe, how is the wooden cradle attached to the tripod plate? Did you cut it so that the fit is very tight? Thanks.

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use a Ries Photoplane head in the 6 inch "A" size for my 20x24. The top plate is 6x7.
    -Greg
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An old Gitzo R2 (Gitza?). It's rock solid.

I attach the camera to it with an m6 screw.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I used my existing tripod w/ bogen 3047 quick mount plate. I have the 3047 plate welded to a 6" chunk of 1/4" think aluminum from a nuarc process camera lens board. If you want pretty this aint it but it is very stable and works great for me. I did replace the standard 1/4 - 20 thread with a 3/8 bolt that fit right in the mount plate and is permanently screwed to the camera base. Its ugly but you could make it look nice if you wanted to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3047 plate.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How do you plan to use the 8x20? Are you going to be pointing it up or down any significant amount? Do you really need a tripod head at all? Perhaps you could attach the camera directly to the tripod. That would still allow you to pan. By keeping one tripod leg pointed away from the subject, levelling could be achieved by moving that leg left or right as necessary. Just a thought...
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A majestic is probably your best bet. A lighter smaller alternative might be the Sinar Pan Tilt Head which is capable of holding an 8x10 P2 easily so it should work fairly well with a ULF camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin