Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,787   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ULF Panoramic Tripod Challenges

A few days ago I came across a marvelous (albeit rare for me) opportunity to photograph with my 8x20 Canham camera in the verticle orientation. Having never done this before I approached the situation with much trepidation. While my Ries head was able to make the 90 degree verticle shift I found that there were a couple of things that I need to consider to make this situation optimal. First was to make sure that the tripod legs are spread very wide to accomodate the shift in center of mass and also to fit the lower section of the camera between the legs. Second problem evolved around the stresses placed on the single tripod mount. I found that although I tightened the base screw well with relatively light pressure the camera could rotate while in position - not good. As a result, I felt that improvements in this area are much needed. Hey, I may want to shoot more in this orientation.

I immediately thought of the thin circular rubber sticky pads that we used to open up screw on caps with. Spreading the surface pressure of the make up screw could make it more difficult for the camera to shift. However, IMO the best solution of all would be the ability to utilize both camera screws (3/8" and 1/4") that would prevent any possible camera shift while photographing. Both my Wisner and my Canham have two tripod mounts int eh base of the camera.

Has anyone come across a tripod mount that accepts both base screws or some other creative solution to the situation I described above?

Thanks in advance,

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Michael, I know I've seen those tripod platforms that were used by the old banquet photographers. I don't think they used them for verticle though. I think I'm going to build one to see if it will hold the 8x20 that I'm building. I've seen these on e-bay from time to time. I like the verticle format on 8x20 also and would love to hear any response.

Stay Focused....or Soft Focused!!

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael,

Find if you tripod has the ability to add more than just one screw. The canham's have two screw holes in the bottom, and I try to use both. That will keep the thing from rotating on the axis of a single screw.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Michael,

The RH Phillips 7x17 I bought from Clay also has two screw holes in the base, both 3/8ths inch. I do some verticals using the big Ries legs and head as a base. Even with that Rock of Gibraltar I feel uncomfortable with the imbalance.

This winter I have a project in mind that will combine an idea that Lotus View Cameras is thinking about, but is not yet offering. See "Valuable tools in design" http://www.lotusviewcamera.at/subs/1...ssories_e.html. The concept is attractive because the weight of the camera-lens-film holder stays directly over the center of the tripod, perfectly balanced.

To implement this concept, give credit to Kerry Thalmann's lecture at the View Camera Conference. He introduced us to http://www.8020.net/, 80/20 the industrial erector set. They also have an eBay store for odd size pieces and cut off ends. The requirements of a 7x17 or 8x20 certainly fit in their definition of scraps.

I am a retired salesman with ideas. If any of you has a more practical mechanical background and like the idea, please post a bill of materials of pieces that address the stresses so we all can put the idea to work.

Stay focused and balanced.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Michael,
    When I asked Keith Canham about shooting my 5x12 in the vertical position, he said that it was doable, but that when tilting the camera on its side, I should be sure and put it over one of the tripod legs. Does the larger camera not permit you to do this?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Diane,

On the big Ries the base of the 7x17 hits the leg if it is out far enough to offer any support. On mine I have to put the camera between the legs.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I see, John.
    Diane

Halak 41

Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    Michael,

The RH Phillips 7x17 I bought from Clay also has two screw holes in the base, both 3/8ths inch. I do some verticals using the big Ries legs and head as a base. Even with that Rock of Gibraltar I feel uncomfortable with the imbalance.

This winter I have a project in mind that will combine an idea that Lotus View Cameras is thinking about, but is not yet offering. See "Valuable tools in design" http://www.lotusviewcamera.at/subs/1...ssories_e.html. The concept is attractive because the weight of the camera-lens-film holder stays directly over the center of the tripod, perfectly balanced.

To implement this concept, give credit to Kerry Thalmann's lecture at the View Camera Conference. He introduced us to http://www.8020.net/, 80/20 the industrial erector set. They also have an eBay store for odd size pieces and cut off ends. The requirements of a 7x17 or 8x20 certainly fit in their definition of scraps.

I am a retired salesman with ideas. If any of you has a more practical mechanical background and like the idea, please post a bill of materials of pieces that address the stresses so we all can put the idea to work.

Stay focused and balanced.

John Powers
    After giving this some further thought, the problem could be solved quite easily with the following accessory.

I have a Ries A250 head. Bolt a lightweight square base the same size of the Ries head into the base of the camera that uses both receiving holes. Recess these screw holes so the base will fit flat on the top of the tripod head. On one side of the base camera plate put a ridge lip that will acept the side of the A250 head and act as a further deterent for rotation. On the bottom of this camera plate will be a 3/8" receiving screw so this can be attached to the A250 tripod head. The ridge lip should be utilized on the on the top side of the head to provide weight support of the attachment screws and prevent rotation of the camera.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've thought about this problem some. So far I've limited my verticals to 7X17 because the Folmer 717 is simply tough enough and small enough to handle the strains well. I use an old Davis and Sanford tripod for doing these that has the most generous table of any of my tripods. It also tilts past 90 degrees which helps in weight distribution some. But since I will likely be using the older ricketier Korona's and Folmers for the rest of my life I've been thinking of building a dedicated table for verticals. 3/16" aluminum plate would be plenty strong enough. It would support the camera in a couple of vulnerable points and the cameras tripod thread would only need to 'locate' the camera to the table. Here's a very rough 2D sketch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VerticalBanquet_1.jpg  
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am using combination of Ries tripod, Gitzo head. if you need 1/4 and 3/8 inch screw at the same time, you can by 1/4 to 3/8 adapter for couple bucks on ebay. I use custom screw which is regular 1/4 screw long 1 1/2 inch and two bolts and little wrench to tighten it. My top of tripod head is coverered by rubber, so if I tightened screw wery well, it holds camera still, no tilts or falling down.

BTW, I like the idea of doing vertical mount adapter, look great and it gives you full movements on tripod head. I think I am going to call my machinist to make one for me.
    Peter Hruby
    LF Silver Photography

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin