Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,724   Online: 856

Shooter
    4x5 Format

normal lens for 11x14

Im one of those that want a normal lens as the first lens, usually the normal is the one i use most.

What would be a good normal lens for 11x14 that allows movements? and is resonably small and sharp?

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    An 18-19" lens is a "normal" for 11x14. A common lens used on 11x14 that is easy to find is a 14" Commercial Ektar, in an Ilex #5 shutter. This is neither small nor light, but it produces excellent images. A 450mm Nikkor-M will also fit the bill, and while it is smaller and lighter than the 14" Commercial Ektar, it is more expensive.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bherg
    Im one of those that want a normal lens as the first lens, usually the normal is the one i use most.

What would be a good normal lens for 11x14 that allows movements? and is resonably small and sharp?

Cheers Johannes
    You might consider the fujinon f12.5 450 c - (450mm/18")I have one for 8x10 and it is incredibly lightweight. The image circle is listed at 486mm - I believe you need about 440 for 11x14, so the movements at infinity would not be great, but you would be hard pressed to find a smaller lens of that focal length.
    Tim Jones
    climbabout

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I consider my Nikon 450M as mormal on my 11x14 rig.

Mike A

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd concur that a 450mm "feels" like a normal lens on 11x14, and you really cannot go wrong with either the Fujinon C or the Nikkor M (both cover 12x20 so coverage is not an issue). The Fujinon is lighter; the Nikkor covers a bit more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An 11 7/8 Protar set is excellent.

It covers 11x14 stopped down;
    it's 18 7/8" lens covers 11x14 wide open,
    as does the 23 1/4.

A Symmar 300 is excellent as well. The 500 (ish) cell does a very fine job.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    My "normal" lens for 11x14 is the Nikkor-M 450mm, and that is what I suggest you use as well. They can be found for a reasonable price on Ebay and are very sharp and cover way more than needed.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    all or any of the above also 480 process lens (19") is nice on 11 x 14 the red dot artar is really sharp, it does cover at infinity and is nice "pulled" for portraits....I like the fuginon C 600 mm best, also the 355 Claron will work...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When the day come i will probably look after the nikkor-m 450, it seems light and small enoug and a good alround. with no certain nice, just a good lens.

Thank you! Johannes

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin