Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,699   Online: 1212

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyone with $4,600 burning a hole in their pocket?

14x17 camera with four film holders and a snazzy tripod. They don't mention if the cat in the last photo is included.

14x17 Empire

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Nice cameras. Too bad it does not have any movements. I don't believe that tripod is made for that camera however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Front rise/fall and rear tilt are about all I use on my Korona 8x10, so it wouldn't be too bad for landscape work. Front tilt WOULD be nicer, but I've gotten use to having to angle the camera a bit.

That tripod looks like you could mount a small crane on it.

A little over a year ago at a Camera Show here in Denver I looked at an 14x17 Empire State camera that looked identical to this one with the same number of holders and that very unique tripod. The owner had a price tag of $2,600 on it (probably sold it for a bit cheaper as it appeared that cash traded hands). It looked interesting but as Ryan said, the lack of movements was a concern to me. Same camera? Not sure but I think that it could be.

It will be interesting to see if it sells for their asking price.

Cheers!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Obviously hard to judge "market value" on such a rare item - but on more "common" gear (e.g. Nikon RF's which they often peddle on eBay) - I've found this outfit's prices to be, shall we say, rather ambitious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ambitious,

This guy is crazy on his asking prices for things and has always been crazy on his pricing, he was trying to sell used polaroid 500's last year for $95.00 and when I sent him a note to see if he was serious, he said they were collectors items and would be on the rise in price very soon, and the older polaroid land film holders he was trying to get over $100 bucks for, this is the one they have not made film for since the 60's , he is not even ambitious, he is just bonkers!

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    He may be bonkers Dave, but you know there's someone out there who will pay his asking price.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The 14X17 Empire is 2nd time listing, I believe. Seems a bit high. There's also a 7X17 Korona that's less than half the price (of course, only half the size).
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Maybe and Maybe not...

Camera looks to be in nice shape. The back does have some tilt. What is interesting is the tripod. As one who uses a 14 x 17 camera, I have often felt that tripods with wider bases would be nice. I usually use the large Majestic base. I also would like a quad pod....imagine the tripod shown with bearings on the circular base like a turntable, with a lock screw. The base being as larger or nearly as large as the camera base...That would be prettly slick. IMHO this might be is a bit high for the camera,then maybe not. Depends on how hard it is to find one and if that is what you are seeking, also, one can expect to pay 300 to 400 for a good holder, if you can find one that does nt leak... That in itself is 1200-1600 bucks. Shooting this size film, one does not want to pay the price of shortcuts. The wood looks great, can't tell about the bellows, extension is nice. So who knows, for some it is a tool and they are scarce in 14 x 17 size...great for portraits and landscape and still lifes, it is not that hard to add movements. All said and done I'd rather have a Wisner or Canham or Ebony, but you are into substantially more money and then those holders....so maybe the seller is dreaming...a nice Anthony, like Kerik's sold for around 3000+ if I remember correctly with out holders. The Anthonys are nice as they are lighter weight and more compact....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Call me crazy, but it seems to me you could have a far superior camera than that (and then some) machined out of aluminum, anodized black and build a vacuum film holder for less than that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin