Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,400   Posts: 1,683,433   Online: 947

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    15 PSI is fine. That's about as much as you will get or need.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine gets up to 14PSI and works great. I think you're good, have you tried printing with it yet? If you've been using a printing frame before this, you are going to be very happy!

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Large Format
    Actually to quantify vacuum in PSI is erroneous. The correct term is inches of vacuum. This is typically described as inches WC (water column) vacuum.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That looks like a vacuum gauge that reads in inches of mercury. My Gast vacuum pump pulls about 24 inches of mercury with what looks like the same set up (Nu Arc 17 x 22). The amount of vacuum pulled on the frame affects the quality of the highlights in your print.
    New Project - Winter Window - 2/21/2015

www.joelipkaphoto.com

300+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks all. I havent printed with it as of yet. Its a little too wide for the small openning on my ENORMOUS 48"x24" BLB UV box. so Im going to have to fashion a door/opening on the long end to make it fit.

thanks for the confirmation and info again all.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka View Post
    That looks like a vacuum gauge that reads in inches of mercury. My Gast vacuum pump pulls about 24 inches of mercury with what looks like the same set up (Nu Arc 17 x 22). The amount of vacuum pulled on the frame affects the quality of the highlights in your print.
    Thak you Joe and Donald. The correct measurement is in inches of mercury not PSI.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, The rubber tubing will be fine. I have used a piece of rubber for several years and I have no problem with it.

Second: It looks like the thing with the red and blue wires is a big honking capacitor. These are used to jump start the pump motor. THEY ARE VERY DANGEROUS. Capacitors are very common on these types of motors. A cap will hold a change long after the energy source is turned off. You should never touch a cap without first de-energizing it. It could kill you. When I set my vacumn frame up, I built a small plywood box to house cap and protect it from accidently coming in contact with anything else.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka View Post
    I have a bleeder valve and set it so that there is no more than about 5 inches of mercury. Too much pressure can definitely cause problems, especially with alternative processes where the sensitized material is humid.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I have a bleeder valve and set it so that there is no more than about 5 inches of mercury. Too much pressure can definitely cause problems, especially with alternative processes where the sensitized material is humid.

Sandy
    Joe and Sandy,

That's an interesting observation, one that I've never considered. Could the change in highligts be seen by printing a step wedge?
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want information about eletrocution I will not give it to you. Certain am I that if you really wish to electrocute yourself that you will eventually be successful.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin