Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,038   Online: 1120
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    scootermm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    1,867
    Images
    235

    Question about Vacuum Frame: wiring, tubing, electrocution, etc

    Yesterday I acquired a vacuum frame and pump from Jeremy Moore.
    I believe I have everything thats needed. Went to Home Depot early this morning and got all the various items Id need to finish it up and getting it running. The home depot employee in the elec dept was convinced I was going to blow my hand off from the convertor or whatever is connected to the pump with the red and blue wires (see image below).
    Does anyone have experience with this? He mentioned I should blanket it in rubber and also box it out so that it will be protected. Ill splice together the power cord and the white/black and green ground wires soon.
    Also, is the tubing adequate or do I need the metal braided tubing because of the vacuum pressure?
    Don Bryant sent over some images to Jeremy that he forwarded to me where the convertor is just lodged into the wood next to the pump. but given what the home depot electrical gent told me Im wondering if Im setting myself up to get my fillings shocked out.

    Thanks in advance, Ive posted a bunch of digishots of the setup I have at present.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00210.jpg   DSC00211.jpg   DSC00212.jpg   DSC00213.jpg  

  2. #2
    jimgalli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tonopah Nevada
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,401
    Blog Entries
    2
    Images
    155
    You'll get all kinds of answers here from duct tape to environmentally sealed and locked chambers. I'd land somewhere in the middle. I'd like to see every electrical connection properly made inside a secondary metal containment that is system grounded. The 110v cord should go in through a strain relief device and the rest should be inside metal. That way if your 4 year old curious cousin happens on to it, there's nothing he can touch and get hurt. Also if there was a failure the secondary unit offers some protection against flaming motors and blown apart capacitors. The yellow paint on one of the black conductors is very likely an identifier. I'd hook the neutral to that. Important! Plug your 110v cord into a GFCI receptacle. All should be well.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

    http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

  3. #3
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    Yesterday I acquired a vacuum frame and pump from Jeremy Moore.
    I believe I have everything thats needed. Went to Home Depot early this morning and got all the various items Id need to finish it up and getting it running. The home depot employee in the elec dept was convinced I was going to blow my hand off from the convertor or whatever is connected to the pump with the red and blue wires (see image below).
    Does anyone have experience with this? He mentioned I should blanket it in rubber and also box it out so that it will be protected. Ill splice together the power cord and the white/black and green ground wires soon.
    Also, is the tubing adequate or do I need the metal braided tubing because of the vacuum pressure?
    Don Bryant sent over some images to Jeremy that he forwarded to me where the convertor is just lodged into the wood next to the pump. but given what the home depot electrical gent told me Im wondering if Im setting myself up to get my fillings shocked out.

    Thanks in advance, Ive posted a bunch of digishots of the setup I have at present.
    Matt,

    You have the capacitor wired correctly. Now just connected the AC power cord. Green goes to green, white will go to the black wire with the paint marker and black goes to the unmarked black.

    You should be able to do a web search to on the pump manufacturer and get detailed info. All in all it is really simple to wire.
    Since you don't have a matched connector for the one on the pump just cut that off and use some inline connectors. I would also tin the bare wires before using connectors. Wrap the connections with electrical tape and you are good to go.

    Jim's comment about a strain releif is a good one, just bolt it to the wood you are mounting the pump on.

    So Jeremy gets the 26K now?
    Don Bryant

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    6,242
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    Yesterday I acquired a vacuum frame and pump from Jeremy Moore.
    I believe I have everything thats needed. Went to Home Depot early this morning and got all the various items Id need to finish it up and getting it running. The home depot employee in the elec dept was convinced I was going to blow my hand off from the convertor or whatever is connected to the pump with the red and blue wires (see image below).
    Does anyone have experience with this? He mentioned I should blanket it in rubber and also box it out so that it will be protected. Ill splice together the power cord and the white/black and green ground wires soon.
    Also, is the tubing adequate or do I need the metal braided tubing because of the vacuum pressure?
    Don Bryant sent over some images to Jeremy that he forwarded to me where the convertor is just lodged into the wood next to the pump. but given what the home depot electrical gent told me Im wondering if Im setting myself up to get my fillings shocked out.

    Thanks in advance, Ive posted a bunch of digishots of the setup I have at present.
    The metal can is a run capacitor. You can enclose it in a metal enclosure if you want...however a lot of commercial equipment that I have seen over the years does not have it isolated to ground per NEC standards. Run capacitors have lower MFD ratings then start capacitors. Either one would not cause any human health risk problems if it did fail. The only risk is touching an uninsulated conductor.

    The electrical motor driving the vacuum pump is isolated to ground if you have the ground conductor connected intact through to the service panel. It will be isolated from the vacuum frame unless you have a metal to metal connection at some point.

    The vacuum hose will probably not collapse with the vacuum that the pump will pull...If it does then you can get black vacuum hose for automobile use and it should work fine...but I doubt that you will need it.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

    Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilmette,Illinois, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    728
    You already got good advice about the electrical connections, so I just want to say that I don't think the plastic tubing you got will work with the vacuum pump; I think it will collapse. You of course could try it as you already have it. If it doesn't work, I recommend fuel injection hose that is available at any auto supply company. It is what I use and it works great. It's available in at least a couple diameters and you can get any length you need.

    Richard Wasserman

  6. #6
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    Yesterday I acquired a vacuum frame and pump from Jeremy Moore.
    I believe I have everything thats needed.
    The clear tubing should be fine, just test it before removing the label. If the tubing should collapse use reinforced poly like the kind shown in my pix.

    I also removed the frame brackets on the rear of the frame so it would have a lower profile to allow it to fit in my pizza oven UV printer. I also put a few layers of duct tape on the edges of the lower metal frame to make handling easier and safer.

    I also would recommend that you place a stiff piece of material over the bed to prevent the bed from imprinting a pattern into the printing paper. I used a translucent piece of plastic sold at quilting stores. This also helps keep the bed free from lint. You will need to cut a hole in the plastic to allow the vacuum to evacuate air properly or you can just clip the corner.
    Don Bryant

  7. #7
    scootermm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    1,867
    Images
    235
    very helpful all.
    Ill try out everything in hopes that it works. Will let you all know.
    Don, did you put a bleed valve on yours? I noticed in the pics you emailed what looked like a bleed valve. Was that to let out some of the pressure because the pump pulls more than is needed? Jeremy mentioned I might want to put one on mine for this reason.

    thanks again all for the info.

  8. #8
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    very helpful all.
    Ill try out everything in hopes that it works. Will let you all know.
    Don, did you put a bleed valve on yours? I noticed in the pics you emailed what looked like a bleed valve. Was that to let out some of the pressure because the pump pulls more than is needed? Jeremy mentioned I might want to put one on mine for this reason.

    thanks again all for the info.
    Matt,

    I do have a bleeder valve but it isn't really needed. I don't use it normally. At one time I was working with digital negatives made on Ultrafine Clear Film and if used at full vacuum the ink would be transferred to the paper.

    I do use it now to reduce pressure for making faux plate marks on paper.
    Don Bryant

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Norwich, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,405
    Images
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    At one time I was working with digital negatives made on Ultrafine Clear Film and if used at full vacuum the ink would be transferred to the paper.
    Man, you mean it sucked those electronic pixels right off the sensor

    Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

  10. #10
    scootermm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    1,867
    Images
    235
    bit of a bump...
    got my vacuum frame up and running. wondering if its running TOO well.
    After a few mins its managing to pull about 15PSI. is that too much?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin