Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,842   Online: 985

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Getting the house winterized today and quick as I'm done with that I plan to soup 2 more sheets. 1 from each new package of film. But the camera / holders were in use just days previous and I didn't experience any troubles other that the corner leak from the leaky Efke packaging. Pretty doubtful the camera is at fault.
    I have had my share of major failures and screw-ups with 12X20 so I know how frustrating this can be. Just for the record, however, I have been using TMY from this order and have not seen any problem with fogging.

Bear in mind that an ASA 400 film is a lot more likely to show fogging from camera problems than one of ASA 100. A minor bellows or holder problem that might not show up with the Efke could cause major fogging with TMY.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jim,
    I have gone through two ten sheet boxes of 12x20 Kodak Tmax 400 film from the JandC order without any problems. Good luck!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, Sandy and Ole were right on. The film is clean. A little more film base plus fog than I would have expected but no artifacts. When you're wrong, you're wrong.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim,

I was going to ask if the delivery truck drives past the Nevada Test Site on the way to your place ;^)

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by garysamson View Post
    Jim,
    I have gone through two ten sheet boxes of 12x20 Kodak Tmax 400 film from the JandC order without any problems. Good luck!

Ditto here. I have shot 8x20, 12x20 and 11x14 TMY and have and have had no problems and minimal FB+F. Of course, I am being extremely careful to keep my film holders in covered light tight septums in the field and a dark cloth over the camera back at all times. Hope you figure out where the problem is.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check the bellows for cracks or tears especially where it attaches to the rear standard/frame. You might have a tear or seperation that opens with bellows extension.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jim,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with ULF film fogging. As we go up in sheet size the ammount of troubles seems to multiply.

You haven't mentioned much about the holders. Are they older? I know you inspected them before loading film, and they appeared light tight, but did you test them with a sheet of paper and walk them outside.

I have older 8x20 Korona holders that are light tight in the studio but can not be exposed to direct sunlight outdoors without fogging. It seems the dark slide is not fully opaque. I've changed out the dark slides for a new sheet on a couple of the holders but still will only shoot with them outdoors if they will not hit the sunshine.

How are you storing the exposed film?
    Some of the film boxes are not fully light tight either without keeping the film inside a bag inside the boxes. Illford boxes are this way in the smaller formats.

There are lots of ways for light to get to a ULF sheet of film and destroy the image.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Quote Originally Posted by George Losse View Post

There are lots of ways for light to get to a ULF sheet of film and destroy the image.
    Well said George. It can also manifest its ugly head as any combinations of these adverse consequences within the entire process from loading holders and developing negatives back in the darkroom. It takes some serious descipline to isolate each of these variables and eliminate them throughout your ULF system.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    Jim,

I was going to ask if the delivery truck drives past the Nevada Test Site on the way to your place ;^)

Steve

Don t know perosnally about that delivery truck....but I do know from personal experience and observaton, that strange and wonderous occurrences happen quite often in the Nevada skies over Nye county......( said in hushed and whispered tone with a furtive glance to my backside):o :o :o

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the thoughtful words. I have 2 holders. They are newer Hoffman holders from the mid '60's is my best guess. I will have to set the whole system up in bright sun and stick my head in from all directions to try to see where the leaks are. Wondering if contact cementing some black felt cloth on the surfaces at the rear where the film holders contact the body would be counterproductive.

One thing I'm positive about. Once you leave 11X14 the problems seem to mount by magnitudes and I'm starting to wonder about diminishing returns. 8X10 just seems so easy!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin