Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,656   Posts: 1,481,408   Online: 1095

Thread: argentum 11x14

Shooter
    Multi Format

argentum 11x14

So following the suggest here I asked. Now they want an idea what sort I'd like. To be honest I'm a little bit at a loss.

I'd like both an 11x14 and an 8x10 back.

I'd like 125mm to about 650mm in extension.

140x140 lensboard. Could live with Linhof 96mmx98mm.

rear focus

I'm not hyper worried about weight.

So what would you ask for?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Absolutely go with the larger lensboard. I'd even aim for about 720mm of extension, just in case you get the itch to shoot some closeup stuff with a 600mm lens. For handling the wide stuff, ask for something that does both front and rear focus, so you can shift the front standard backwards so you don't have 600mm of baseboard poking you in the chest while trying to operate the camera. What kind of movements are you interested in, if any? What lenses do you plan to use with it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really want it to be a lighter 8x10 then my Ansco.

So my 120mm Nikon is the short end. It needs 127mm I think to focus. The long end I was thinking maybe a Fuji 600mm C. I'd like to use the 600mm for a portrait lens.

I'd like full movements both ends but I know I can live with less. Tilt on the back for sure. Swing. Shift. We end up pretty close to full movements on both ends-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Get the larger lensboard, and use a lensboard adapter to allow you to put your small lenses on smaller lensboards, so they won't be so bulky. I've found it very handy to standardize so that all my cameras either take Sinar or Linhof boards, and I've got a couple of Sinar-Linhof adapter boards.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's the plan if they can handle making it that way. I've already got a Sinar to Linhof adapter. The Ansco has a bigger adapter. I think it's from Linhof 162mm [I think] down to Linhof 98mm. Sure makes it easier to move one lens between cameras.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm thinking along the same lines, although I don't want anything larger than 8x10" (the 9.5x12" camera I have already is perfect, the 12x16" is too large for me).

I'd definitely go for the largest possible lens board. My plan is to get two or three boards, and put an iris mount on one of them for the lighter lenses, and do a "proper job" with the big heavy beasts. Like the 500mm f:6.3 Krauss/Zeiss Tessar, if I decide to get a long enough bellows to use it.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW they don't think rear rise and shift are both possible and for the camera to be stable. Not sure they can manage the bellows range either.

They are making what sounds like a wide angle 11x14 for somebody else and he's getting back to me with more info later.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With an 11x14" camera, I can understand their reluctance to have too many movements on the rear. The weight of a 11x14" film holder does make a difference if the rear is even slightly unstable!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ya and I can live without rear rise. So not a real killer. But nice to ask for everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Ya and I can live without rear rise.
    No, you don't...

If tilt is available on both standards, you can simulate rise by pointing the camera upwards or downwards with the tripod head and resetting both standards to vertical position.
    But I guess you already knew that

G
    Last edited by argus; 10-18-2006 at 09:44 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: darn spelling

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin