Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,866   Online: 784

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

How low can I go.... to 11x14

So the cost of 11x14 B&W film is not entirely obscene (compare to 20x24 film, heh heh :P ). I'd be happy with 11x14 contact prints. I like the idea of people looking at me even funnier than they do now....

How inexpensively can I do ULF? Assuming I get a single multi-purpose lens, a used body, and a minimalist set of accessories for it, what is a good dollar amount to plan for? It's looking like I could get a lens for a few hundered based on postings to classified, but what about the rest?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I would say around 2,000.00

If needed, I have a Burke & James 11x14 camera for sale for 1,650.00

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With ULF in general, the kicker is going to be the film holders. Unless you get lucky, you're going to find that even used, they'll set you back close to $300 per. If you can find a camera that has clean usable holders included, you'll probably be way ahead.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
    So the cost of 11x14 B&W film is not entirely obscene (compare to 20x24 film, heh heh :P ). I'd be happy with 11x14 contact prints. I like the idea of people looking at me even funnier than they do now....

How inexpensively can I do ULF? Assuming I get a single multi-purpose lens, a used body, and a minimalist set of accessories for it, what is a good dollar amount to plan for? It's looking like I could get a lens for a few hundered based on postings to classified, but what about the rest?
    hi there

i recently acquired a 11x14 camera that "needs a little work"
    for not very much money. i will be devising my own back for it ( probably a 11x14 and a 7x11 ) and i will be shooting paper instead of film. i have planned out the back of the camera and it will cost me some or black foamcore/ 8ply board and either a pane of ground glass already made, or i will try to make it myself on the cheep. knowing that film holders are very expensive ($200+ used at places like midwest photo exch. ) i have devised a way to use paper with a "drawbridge" or hand made dark slide so i can have a sheet of black foamcore for each sheet if paper i plan to expose. sounds kind of elaborate, but it is gonna be easy once i get to "jerry's" ... all in all, so far it has cost me what i paid for the camera, and a bottle of india ink ( i already have the pva ) to de-pinhole the bellows. i already have a lens or 2 that will cover the real estate, but even if it doesn't, i don't really care

have fun!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are alot of hidden/unexpected costs with going ULF. The filmholders are the big sticker shock. A lens that will cover the format is another - I got a barrel lens relatively cheap for my 7X17. Film processing - I use grey conduit pipe to make tubes. Film itself is not cheap. Then negative storage and a larger darkcloth. This is all presuming that you get a workable camera at reasonable price. Don't know if I would have made the jump if I had known all the costs; but the end results are very rewarding.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree with doughowk, go with one of the process barrel lens. Seem to recall the 305 Agfa Super Intergon that I got from Sandy King (maybe he will step in) will cover 11x14. Nice glass but does not go in a shutter, so the old hat shutter works...etc. Just to find out if you like it or not, why not build yourself a pinhole 11x14 out of cardboard and use paper negs to see if you like the format? Just a thought.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say Ryan is pretty close to the right figure for a camera, depending on the condition of the camera.

I recently went down this road and there are a bunch of other things you'll need. Like lens(es) with greater coverage, heavy duty tripod & head, bigger dark cloth/tent. Add add'l the cost of the 1 film holder and you're at about $2500-$2750.

Then you'll want: larger contact printing frame, packard shutter, film developing drums and regular vists to the chiropractor.

I love having the big image and tons of bellows draw for smaller formats (w/reducing backs), but I'm not sure I can afford to remain in this club for much longer. I may also be putting my kit on the block soon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    How much for ULF? With a home made pinhole camera and a paper negative I'd say about 87 cents.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hrm. The idea of starting with an 11x14 pinhole camera sounds awfully appealing.

You can even try a 16x20 pinhole camera. The downside of course is that you have to tie the cardboard box down really well or it will blow off your roof rack or out the bed of your pick up truck when driving down the road (!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin