Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,677   Online: 908

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

sucking away time while NULFing

So recently I posted a print in the Critique Gallery ...
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=2057
    it was my first foray into night time photography with my 7x17 (get it? NULF ). It got me to thinking. The other day I was doing a small write up on this photo and capturing the negative. Ive often done exposures in dimly lit industrial scenes that were in the 30+ min range, but this was the longest Ive ever exposed such a large sheet of film, at nearly 90mins (or so as I didnt really keep a strict stopwatch on it) and hopefully the first of many attempts at NULF.

Wondering is anyone else has any examples of ULF night shots. I would love to see any examples or hear others thoughts on the subject matter/concept.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't have any ULF, but I've got some night shots from Argentina in my gallery done with the 5x7...

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=6785

That wasn't that long an exposure... perhaps 30 seconds. If memory serves, that was done with the 4 3/8" WA Dagor at around f16, MAYBE f22.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    90 minutes? I always wondered how night photogs pass the time during long exposures.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Matt,

I've done some NULF work, but I don't have the patience for too many 90-minute exposures. Personally, I'd use a faster film (ideally TMY) and open up a stop or 2. Looking at the image you posted, I think you could have gotten all the depth of field you needed with simple movements and f/16. If that lower left foreground was a little soft, it would make no difference IMO. But, if you like 90 minutes of Zen, disregard the above. Here's one shot on 14x17 HP5, 24" Artar, about 25 minutes @ f/22(?).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gum38.jpg  
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt,

TMY is the ticket for this sort of thing. For scenes illuminated with regular street lights, my exposures run about 4 minutes at f/22-32 (depending on how dark the shadow areas are) with this film. TX320 takes about 20 minutes at the same fstop. FP-4 and PL100 - fuggedaboudit. Twiddling my thumbs and hoping a car doesn't come by and screw up the shot for a 90 minute period is just too much for me.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    hahaha. yeah kerik and clay you may be right.

maybe Ill try out some of that JandC 400 film when they open back up. the darn TriX and HP5 are just so darn expensive in 7x17. HP5 and TriX are just so darn expensive in 717.

although maybe its the masochistic part of me that enjoys the 90mins spent waiting around. Ive been known to enjoy torturing myself, its an ULF characteristic right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Matt,

Nice image. But torturing yourself does not seem to only be an ULF tendancy.

By the way, when we take those long exposures (frequently hours) for star trails in any format size we also have the issue of what to do. That of course means staying warm if cold, making pit stops,.... :rolleyes:

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Matt re-read what Clay said about exposure differences btwn tmy 400 and tri-x 320. TM 400 is far superior to the others in the reciprocity department and this would be my choice for these type of images. JC 400 is probably no better than the other older type emulsions but it would at least shorten your waiting period considerably. I often do 15-20 minute exposures in dark shade with some really slow film I use and even that can be a bit much at times.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    90 minutes? I always wondered how night photogs pass the time during long exposures.
    Depending on the circumstances we:

a) watch the sky
    b) sit in the car and listen to music (a good option in sub-zero winter)
    c) worry about nocturnal carnivores
    d) try to keep other people from pointlessly firing flashes on their point & shoots, or bouncing on a boardwalk, or whatever (in tourist-hot spots).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin