Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,965   Online: 759

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post
    Yeah, rub it in, Ron. I decided I'd like to take a few pictures before I get into 'mad scientist' mode. I promised myself I'd order that boxcar of AgNO3 by yearend and still have another day to procrastinate.

Gotta get me one of those leopardskin lab coats, too. You know, like yours, with the black spots all over it?

Charley
    Charley;

Thats silver nitrate, not leapord spots. You know, if you get your hands wet in an emulsion lab they turn black?

Hahahaha.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a roll of 102 cm wide.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Charley,

A possible way to use a large paper cutter in a small place is to use the flat surface as a table or counter top. It is very stable and gives you double work for a single space. Make sure the blade is locked when not in use. It could be rough on the fingers.

When taking Bob Herbstís platinum workshop a couple of years ago I liked the large hardwood Ingento brand paper cutter he had. As you know half of taking a workshop is seeing what a more experienced person uses and how. I think the wood is maple, very hard and quite beautiful if you buy one in good condition. Donít even think of buying new.

The blade is self sharpening and lasts forever. They come in all sizes. I bought an 18 inch one on eBay. I shoot 7x17, so I start with 16x20 Kentmere VC FB, cut 2 inches off the 20" side for test strips, then cut the 16 " side in half.

Here is a link to a 30x30", not so pretty one, that sold at "Best Offer" for a $100. In a small room that could be a dance floor. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=57048

Good luck,

John Powers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I picked up an Ingento 30x30 brand new and it was like 40% off. I'll have to check if it was Jerry's or Blicks. I think it was Blicks. I also have an Ingento 39x39 and an 18" that I picked up years ago on ebay. The 39x39 has a footprint that would take up half or your darkroom.My 39x39 lives in a storage area off the darkroom. And I don't think I've gotten it out since buying the 30x30. Both are great cutters. John, yes there are all made from maple as far as I know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Good advice, Dave, but where will I put a 26" cutter? The space I can devote to photography/darkroom equipment makes a Manhattan apartment look palatial. I think I have to stick with a razor blade for the moment.

I stopped by B&H this afternoon and picked up some 20x24 paper and a 20x24 contact printer. Man-oh-Manischewitz, does this ULF stuff take up space!
    You could store both a "rotatrim" style 26" paper cutter and a 20x24 printing frame under your bed when not in use, neither is very thick.

With our forthcoming silver chloride contact printing paper, Lodima Fine Art, the repalcement for Azo, we can have paper made in 12 x 20. There has been quite a demand for 8x20 and I see no reason not to supply 12x20 as well. In fact, we will be able to accomodate most any size.

Still waiting for the next round of testing. No firm delivery date yet.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Good advice, Dave, but where will I put a 26" cutter? The space I can devote to photography/darkroom equipment makes a Manhattan apartment look palatial. I think I have to stick with a razor blade for the moment.

I stopped by B&H this afternoon and picked up some 20x24 paper and a 20x24 contact printer. Man-oh-Manischewitz, does this ULF stuff take up space!
    Actually, my Rotatrim doesn't take up much space. I store it vertically on its edge between two bookshelves in a space about 1" wide, and I use it either on the dining room table or the floor, depending on what I'm cutting.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    With our forthcoming silver chloride contact printing paper, Lodima Fine Art, the repalcement for Azo, we can have paper made in 12 x 20. There has been quite a demand for 8x20 and I see no reason not to supply 12x20 as well. In fact, we will be able to accomodate most any size.

Still waiting for the next round of testing. No firm delivery date yet.

Michael A. Smith
    Michael, I hope the testing is going well. I for one need to get an order in for some 8x20 paper. Thanks.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin