Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,884   Posts: 1,629,758   Online: 693

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

My new 8 x 20 is finished.

Well, after about 7 months, I've finally finished my new 8 x 20 ULF camera. I've learned a lot about it during the process and made my share of mistakes. However, through it all, it looks nice and all the adjustments work well. There are still a few minor adjustments to make, but everything looks good from here on. The one thing that I still have to remedy is that when I glued the ground glass frame together, one of the sides warped. This is why the aluminum angle is on the back of the camera - to straighten out the warped back frame. The back is fine for now, but I may build a new back in the near future.

I still have to build the film holders before I can really try it out. Hopefully, I can have at least one done by the time Per Volquartz's Joshua Tree workshop comes up the end of January.

I want to thank all those on the forum here who have given me tips and advice through these many months especially to Jim Fitzgerald for the continuing motivation to complete this process. Attached are photos of the camera in both the Vertical and Horizontal formats.
    Last edited by Dan Dozer; 11-12-2007 at 09:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Looks like a beautiful camera. You have a right to be proud. Congrats. Use it in good health.
    Neal

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dan, it's a very beautiful camera. I really look forward to seeing the photos from this camera...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan, great job and very nicely done. Fit and finish look good. How much does it weigh without the film holder in place? Best, tim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks for sharing this camera with us. This is an impressive undertaking and I am looking forward to your first photographs with this beautifully crafted instrument!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    Well, after about 7 months, I've finally finished my new 8 x 20 ULF camera. I've learned a lot about it during the process and made my share of mistakes. However, through it all, it looks nice and all the adjustments work well. There are still a few minor adjustments to make, but everything looks good from here on. The one thing that I still have to remedy is that when I glued the ground glass frame together, one of the sides warped. This is why the aluminum angle is on the back of the camera - to straighten out the warped back frame. The back is fine for now, but I may build a new back in the near future.

I still have to build the film holders before I can really try it out. Hopefully, I can have at least one done by the time Per Volquartz's Joshua Tree workshop comes up the end of January.

I want to thank all those on the forum here who have given me tips and advice through these many months especially to Jim Fitzgerald for the continuing motivation to complete this process. Attached are photos of the camera in both the Vertical and Horizontal formats.
    Having seen this camera in various stages of development I can say that it is a beauty! Dan does some very fine work. I think we all tend to look at our finished work and know we can do better next time or change something. This is what makes fine artists. I've seen some of Dan's finished Platinum prints and I have two of my negatives that he printed for me on my wall and I can say that "Dan is the man!" Dan has been a great motivator for me. I took some time away from building my 8x20 to expose some negs etc., but seeing the finished product is great and it has renued my interest in finishing my project. Great job Dan!!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I love shooting my ULF camera's but those of you that build your own camera's must have an extra special feeling breaking it out of the box to go shoot! That is a phenomenal camera and undertaking that you should rightly be proud of--I look forward to seeing some prints as well in the gallery.

continued success

Monty

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nice camera, and I particularly like the way you've set it up to go vertical.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the compliments. I hope to be using it soon.

Tim - I don't have an accurate scale, but it appears to weight in at about 14 - 15 lbs. I believe that this is a little heavier than most 8 x 20's, but I suspected ahead of time that with it's capacity for both vertical and horizontal formats, it would have more parts/pieces in it. However, add on the Majestic tripod head and surveyors tripod and this is a real beast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan, I have wanted to do what you have done for years... Maybe some day soon i will finaly build my own camera... Maybe an 11x14...
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.
    Carl Sandburg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin