Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,627   Online: 721

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shen hao 7X17

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I have been researching 7 x 17 camera for the past year and half. I have tried the Korona and looked at a Wisner, Canham and the Shen hao. In my quest I talked to Richard Ritter about his camera and have seen it in the prototype stage and have since worked with a production model. Richard has put a lot of time and reseach into his camera.

I find I do a lot of verticals and there were posting of how to do verticals on this forum. What it comes do to is you need a second tripod and the camera is not easy to work with in a vertical position. I tried it when I was working with the Korona big pain in the backside. This would hold true for most of the camera being made today. Richard Ritter camera on the other hand is a simple change and the weight is over the tripod in stead of hanging off the side wanting to tip over onto the ground and no second tripod to carry around .

As to size Richard camera footprint in the close position is the same size as a Wisner. Weight wise a lot lighter. As to looks it grows on you and I don’t care what it looks like, its how it works. The sturdiness of the camera and the fact it can be change very quickly to other formats is a big plus.

I have a camera on order with Richard and expect to be able to pick it up in a few weeks I had him do a modification to it to need my needs. The reason I went with Richard is its made in the USA by someone who is committed to this field.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As far as I know, Chamonix is a very nice camera, the maker of the camera not only took the merit of Dick's design, he also studied a lot of other camera designs too before he came up with his model; and he aslo try to integrate some monorail camera concept along with flat-bed camera concept. The material he used and the build quality is far better than shen-hao.

From the comments of the users in China, it seems like they all like the light weight and stability of the camera.

I am glad to see Mr. Thalmann is willing to bring this camera to US market because it's really going to make a lot people happy.

Alex W.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have seen the Chamonix 7x17 camera in person. It's build quality and usability features (Chinese engineering innovation that makes good sense) is quite outstanding. The Chamonix may well be worth a close look for those in the market for such things.

It will be interesting to see what other format cameras Kerry is able to bring to the US market too.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    ... With Chamonix coming onto the scene and being carried by Kerry I have some thinking to do...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cperez View Post
    I have seen the Chamonix 7x17 camera in person. It's build quality and usability features (Chinese engineering innovation that makes good sense) is quite outstanding. The Chamonix may well be worth a close look for those in the market for such things.

It will be interesting to see what other format cameras Kerry is able to bring to the US market too.
    I own a 7X17" Canham and find it to be a great camera, very light in weight, lots of movements and lots of bellows draw.

If I were in the market today for a 7X17 I would definitely consider Richard Ritter's camera. As pointed out, it has quite a bit of bellows draw and the great feature of setting up either in veritical or horizontal format. That would be a very important consideration for me because puttiing the Canham in vertical format is not at all easy.

That said, any camera that copies a Phillips design is gong to be a good one.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    That said, any camera that copies a Phillips design is gong to be a good one.

Sandy
    If the build quality holds up to inspection, and the principles of the engineering that Dick used are understood by the designer of the camera.

I would suggest that there is considerable difference in build quality between the Shen Hao 8x10 camera and an 8x10 Phillips camera, based on my exposure to it last year at the VC conference. If the same holds true in the 7x17, then they are not truely equals.

This is the same condition that holds in the post-war Leica knockoffs (with some exceptions coming from Japan), the russian Hassleblad copies, and just about every other camera copy that has been made. It makes no sense to make an exact copy, because of the costs involved. Generally, some quality and design modifications must be made to be able to hit a different market.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin