Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,111   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shen hao 7X17

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Shen hao 7X17

Hello and Happy new Year,
    I'm thinking to buy a UL camera, and I saw a 7x17 shen hao camera, the price is quite cheap, and I would like to know if someone know this kind of view camera, and if a good choise to start with format.

Best

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    The Shen Hao is clearly a rip-off of Dick Phillips 7x17 camera. I just purchased an 8x10 from Phillips and have seen his 7x17 cameras in person and know the design is amazing and the craftsmanship is amazing as well. ShenHao may have copied his design, but they cannot copy his quality.
    I would suggest getting in touch with Dick Phillips and seeing if he can make you a 7x17 or if theire is anyone that has one for sale used, he would know.

Here is a few SERIOUS problems I have with the Shen Hao 7x17.

First off, it's $4,000.00. There are other 7x17 cameras that are far better in about the same price range.

Second, it only has 24" of bellows extention!!! That is absolutly terrible. With using larger camears, you must use larger lenses. With the Shen Hao, you could not even use a 24" lens! For this format, a 24" lens is fairly normal. So, the camera would limit you only using short lenses and not being able to do much close-up work where the bellows are usually extended.

For a few hundred dollars more, you can get a nice Canham that is of far better quality, and has either 36" or 48" bellows.

Here is some discussion about the camera-http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15297

My first suggestion is to contact Dick Phillips and see if there is anyway you can get a 7x17 from him. It would be around the same price, lighter weight, and a better made camera. If that does not work out, then think about a Canham or Wisner.

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a 4X5 Shen Hao and a 7X17 Korona. Both are well-made cameras that I enjoy using. A 7X17 Shen Hao should be a well-made camera since the Chinese are aggressively pursueing the LF & ULF markets. A caveat, though, is it does seem to take Shen Hao one or two versions to work out any kinks in their new lines.

As far as lenses, I use a 265mm Ilex for the 7X17. For the panorama format I would think a wide-angle lens may be all you need; so the lack of bellows extension for both the Korona & Shen Hao should not be a problem.

Concerning price, the best bargains of course are in used equipment market. The hidden cost is the holders - new sell for around $400, and even used are usually $200-300.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Stefano,

Kerry Thalmann is going to begin distributing Chamonix cameras as the North American distributor. You may wish to read the following thread from Large Format Photography Forum:

Comparing 20x24's? - Large Format Photography Forum

Hope this helps.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Stefano,

Dick Phillips announced last Fall that he would not be making any more 7x17 cameras. He wants to enjoy his retirement. There were only 15 or 16 of the 7x17s made, so finding a used one can be difficult. It is a landscape camera. The bellows is short allowing focus between 120mm and 660mm (26 inches). I do use a 600mm Fuji C quite often. My favorite lens is a 12 inch gold ring Dagor (300mm). It all depends on your subject and how you think.

Richard Ritter's camera is of great interest to many people considering a new 7x17. There is much discussion about this on APUG and the LF Form. Here is his web site. LARGE FORMAT workshops R T RITTER

Besides film holders another thing that needs planning is where and how to buy film. Not only is it expensive, but you need to find a source that carries it or you need to order once a year if you want Kodak or Ilford. Much has also been written on this subject.

Good luck,

John Powers

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Looks like Chamonix took the Phillips design also.

It's good to see that there is still new companies coming into making ULF cameras, and there is still a strong interest in them. It's just to bad that China has to make things so cheap that it hurts the US camera makers that are producing a better produce. I guess that is what China does with nearly everything however!

Well, the Chamonix is surly another possiblity for probably a cheeper price, but I still suggest contacting Dick Phillips to see if you can get the real thing, rather than a china copy.

EDIT-I just saw that someone posted above that Dick is no longer making any 7x17 cameras, thats really too bad. Best forget I said anything.

Personally, I think that R. Ritter's cameras looks like tons of scrap pieces of cameras all hooked together. It's certainly not attractive looking. I also don't like the way the camera looks when closed up...it looks very large. For the price, it might be one of your better deals for a ULF camera however.

Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    Hi Stefano,

Kerry Thalmann is going to begin distributing Chamonix cameras as the North American distributor. You may wish to read the following thread from Large Format Photography Forum:

Comparing 20x24's? - Large Format Photography Forum

Hope this helps.

Rich
    Last edited by User Removed; 01-02-2007 at 10:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by photo8x10 View Post
    Hello and Happy new Year,
    I'm thinking to buy a UL camera, and I saw a 7x17 shen hao camera, the price is quite cheap, and I would like to know if someone know this kind of view camera, and if a good choise to start with format.

Best

Stefano
    Dear Stefano,

I saw the new Shen Haos at photokina, and they seem always to be better and better built.

The designer is a real enthusiast, but I'm not so sure about how practical it is to do business with Shen Hao.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Large Format
    While I have not personally dealt with Shen Hao, there are a number of photographers who have dealt directly with them and have reported very good experiences with Shen Hao. I considered a Shen Hoa 5X7 before I bought my Wisner. Had I not found a used Wisner, I would have probably bought the Shen Hoa direct since Badger does not carry the full Shen Hao line...at least in the 5X7 size. The quality and value has been reported, by users of the camera, as being excellent.

Phillips, while making excellent cameras by all reports, would concern me because what happens, in the area of customer support, when he finally decides to close down operations totally?

Had Ron Wisner not reopened his business, I would not have purchased the Wisner that I have.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    [QUOTE=Donald Miller;412315]

Phillips, while making excellent cameras by all reports, would concern me because what happens, in the area of customer support, when he finally decides to close down operations totally?

[QUOTE]

A large format camera is really not that difficult to work on if something goes wrong. Probably the most common problem is a screw or bolt that needs to be replaced or strips out.

I feel that it's a good idea if a person knows about the equiptment they are using, and if something were to go wrong, they should know how to fix that problem.

After really examining my Phillips 8x10, I cannot really find anything that I could not fix on my own. Of course, if the camera was to get dropped and seriously broken...that could be the only problem. You just need to learn to take care of your gear so nothing happens like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting thread, Jorge before his exile suggested I might want to shoot ULF.

Just tried searching for a Phillips 8x10 and all I can find are 10"x8" images of a big guy wearing white clothes with black stripes playing the old scottish game of rounders.

Any chance of a link to the camera manufacturer.

Ian

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin