Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,986   Online: 856

Shooter
    4x5 Format

300mm APO Sironar-W Resurrection

I just posted this over on the Large Format Forum at largeformatphotography.info and thought I'd post it here as well since I know a few of you shoot 11x14 or 7x17.

Those of you shooting 11x14 and 7x17 might be interested to know that Badger Graphic has commisioned a special production run of the twenty units of the Rodenstock 300mm APO-Sironar-W. This is an 80 degree lens capable of covering 11x14 or 7x17 with movements. It was discontinued around 1997 or 1998 and is rarely seen on teh used market. It's not small (127mm filter size), it's not ultralight (1610g) and it's not cheap ($4025), but for those who really need this kind of coverage (490mm image circle) in a modern, state-of-the-art multicoated 300mm lens, this is a rare opportunity to buy one of these lenses.

Kerry

P.S. This is a public service announcement only. I have no financial interest in this item and don't work for either Rodenstock or Badger Graphic. Just passing along some info someone might find useful.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Kerry; I was lucky enough to get the Sinar (Sinaron WS) version of this lens when I was looking for the Apo Sironar W a few years ago and I confirm your opinion of this lens. I use it for both 7x17 and 11x14 and it is extremely sharp with ample, even coverage. If you have the need and the means and can handle the weight, you'll have a spectacular optic.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Richard,

What did you decide about the 16 x 20 quest. Hope you are still fighting the good fight and heading down the dark dark path towards bigger and bigger negatives. You won't be disappointed I promise.

I'm pulling 20 x 24 negs out of the soup as we speak!

Continued success,

Monty

Shooter
    Large Format
    You really know how to make a guy jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
    ...I'm pulling 20 x 24 negs out of the soup as we speak!...

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    For the record, the production run was commissioned by my LF supplier Christoph Greiner in Germany. I have seen the lens at the Rodenstock booth during the previous Photokina in Cologne. Rodenstock engineers were apparently delighted to produce this lens again. Buy it. Some Canon tele lenses cost more than this.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi View Post
    For the record, the production run was commissioned by my LF supplier Christoph Greiner in Germany. I have seen the lens at the Rodenstock booth during the previous Photokina in Cologne. Rodenstock engineers were apparently delighted to produce this lens again. Buy it. Some Canon tele lenses cost more than this.
    Not that it really matters, but I believe Christoph Greiner commisioned a special run of the 210mm APO Sironar-W a year or two ago. I was told by Jeff at Badger Graphic that they (Badger) commissioned this special run of twenty 300mm APO Sironar-W lenses.

No matter who commisioned which special run of which lenses, I find the fact that Rodenstock is willing and able to make these small production runs of previously discontinued lenses very encouraging.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree Kerry, it is very encouraging to know that Rodenstock can and will make small production runs.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin