Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,821   Online: 997

Thread: screw or bolts?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

screw or bolts?

What the accepted practice for mounting barrel flanges? #6 Screws seem to hold pretty well (hexanon GRII 210) but should I use through bolts and nuts? Hate to watch it go skittering down a ravine...Thanks

-oops, meant to go in regular LF forum, sorry..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I very often use pop rivets - they don't loosen accidentally but can easily be removed if desired.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Colin,
    The screws will work fine if the screwholes haven't been enlarged or stripped out. I think you're more likely to lose the entire lensboard than have the lens/flange fall off.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks John, that's kind of what I was thinking...David, using the rivets, do you have to drill them out to remove them or is this a different sort of rivet? Thanks

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    What the accepted practice for mounting barrel flanges? #6 Screws seem to hold pretty well (hexanon GRII 210) but should I use through bolts and nuts? Hate to watch it go skittering down a ravine...Thanks

-oops, meant to go in regular LF forum, sorry..
    Screws are traditional and I have never heard of a flange falling off (I've been doing this 40 years and around woodies for 35 of them). I'd never even considered bolts, even with my 21 inch f/7.7 Ross, maybe 5 inches in diameter and seven inches long.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Thanks John, that's kind of what I was thinking...David, using the rivets, do you have to drill them out to remove them or is this a different sort of rivet? Thanks
    I should mention that I use pop rivets with metal panels only. The size I use is 1/8" diameter - after fitting, the place where the break-off pin was provides a secure start for a 1/8" twist drill if you need to remove the rivets again. You can do this several times without enlarging the holes in the panel!

With wooden panels, I would agree with others that wood screws are likely to be more than adequate.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even if a #6 screw is stripped, it is easy enough to drill and tap to the next size of #8. The APO Nikkor 480mm I use with a packard shutter is a fairly hefty lens for the old B&J 8x10, but the #6 screws are still fine and will be the least of my problems. Soft metals are usually what these rings are made from, so drilling and tapping is a good alternative to discarding a perfectly good mounting flange. tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I use screws on wooden boards and bolts and nuts for metal ones.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the APO Nikkor 480 that tim mentioned and I have it attached with bolts. It cost about $1 and makes me feel better... Plus, I found bolts that fit perfectly so there are no allterations to make, a little lock tight and I haven't thought about it until now. Good luck. Shawn

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin