Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,540   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I haven't been hit by the film issues. I am still shooting quite a stock of FP-4 in 8x10 and 12x20. What really hurts is the loss of the paper. I count on that like Michael and Paula like their AZO.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What little b/w I shoot is kodak.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I give 99% of my money to Ilford.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    No. I use only Kodak film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My answer is a strong YES.

J&C film had been the only film I have used in 8x10 up until this last Fall. Then I started using Efke 100 for normal and low contrast subjects, J&C 400 for higher contrast stuff. I have gotten by with only J&C 400 and I think it is quite versatile. The sole reason for not using Ilford or Kodak is the high cost of their 8x10 and larger sheets.

I can live with a 100 ASA film but would sure like to have a 400 ASA too. If it gets to where only Ilford and Kodak are available, I guess I will have to bite the silver bullet. But, the very high cost of Ilford/Kodak in ULF will probably keep me at 8x10 and smaller formats. That 7x17 or 8x20 rig is getting to be more of a fantasy as each day goes by.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I've been shooting the JandC Pro 100 for a few years now and just finally getting it under control with Pyrocat-HD developed in tubes on a rotor base.

With the film no longer available, I gave some HP5 a try with Pyrocat-HD in the tubes. Each negative got TERRIBLE streaking, so I stopped using the tubes and developed the rest in trays.

I found that HP5 does not expand as quickly or as much as I would like in Pyrocat-HD when developed in trays. I cannot build up the highlight density as much as I could with JandC.

The next film I'm going to try will be Tri-X, I presume. However, with the recent large layoff at Kodak, who knows how much longer the film will be made for...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kthalmann View Post
    Jim,

For now (knock wood), I can still get my three favorite films (TMY, HP4+ and Efke PL100) in ULF sizes. Still, I hate to see the options dwindle.

Ironically, it was the Kodak and Ilford special ULF programs this time last year that finally convinced me to make the jump to ULF. With the two big guys joining Efke/Adox and Forte/J&C Classic/Bergger, the selection of ULF films was greater than any previous time in my life. The impending loss of the Forte films (and all their re-branded versions) hurts, especially for those shopping based on price, but so far there are still enough choices to keep me shooting ULF and even contemplating adding a new (to me), larger camera (14x17) to my arsenal.

Kerry
    Kerry,

Why don´t you check with the fellow who makes the Chamonix cameras to see if you can´t get some Chinese film cut to ULF size. I mention this because my colleague Sam Wang visited him last year and found out that he is a pretty good ULF photographer, and when asked about supply of film, he said no problem in China.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ryan,

Check out the Azo forum for some lengthy discussions on TMax-400 and Pyrocat. That is what got me started with this combination.

Good luck with your quest,

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    Ryan,

Check out the Azo forum for some lengthy discussions on TMax-400 and Pyrocat. That is what got me started with this combination.

Good luck with your quest,
    So it must be good if you and others are using it, correct?

I will go ahead and give it a try since my normal film is now gone.

Thanks much,

Ryan McIntosh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh View Post
    So it must be good if you and others are using it, correct?

I will go ahead and give it a try since my normal film is now gone.

Thanks much,

Ryan McIntosh
    Hey, they don't even stop production for another 9 days, or so, and who knows how much film stock is already made, and how much is still in the pipeline. Just because J&C is unavailable right now, doesn't mean that Forte made film stocks are completely gone. There is still (in small format) Agfa film stock to purchase. (as another example).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin