Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,830   Online: 847

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

vertical bellows compression

With the extreme taper of most banquet camera bellows, how do you get around bellows vignetting when using wide lenses in vertical orientation? I have a fujinon 250 with great coverage, but if I use more than a little front rise, there so much serpentine compression on the bellows that it clips the optical path. I'm tempted to make a bag bellows but that just seems goofy-it's a ten inch lens for *sake. Has anyone come up with a universal bellows of any kind or know of a workaround?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Have you tried a recessed lens board?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The C1 8x has a ring attached to the bellows with a piece of bellows cloth that can be put over a screw that is in the top center of the front standard. It holds the front of the bellows up to the front of the camera when the camera is using shorter lenses to prevent bellows sag.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Yeah, I've tried these, I appreciate it though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Colin,

Can you roll-up a towel or sweatshirt and slide it between the bellows and frame? or would that crunch it too much the other direction?

just a thought.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Hey, that's a thought. I've been removing the back and sort of punching-out the bellows, might as well stuff something in there to keep it out of the way. Thanks phfitz. Probably wreck the bellows eventually, but I think my main problem is I made the bellows too long, and will have to make a shorter more practical one.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    As an update I made a shorter bellows and any advantage of shorter length is negated by steeper taper, so that didn't work. I guess on 5x12, 250mm is fairly wide the more I think about it, so I'll probably end up making a bag bellows just to have for the more extreme vertical shots. It'll be a hell of a bag, though! :-]

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Ok, try not to laugh. I think it might possibly run amok but it should work, I ran out of daylight before I could test it for leaks. Here's a before shot showing the problem and a shot of the bag from beyond.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 06-24-2007 at 09:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would a conventional bellows with larger pleats help to alleviate the problem?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Possibly, but at this point if I never have to make a $#% bellows again it'll suit me just fine. I was hoping to hear from some banquet shooters to see if they have this problem at all...but I think it might be my own personal rain cloud. Possibly it only applies to the 'mini'-banquet formats that can use shorter lenses. But thanks for the suggestion, I do appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin