Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,560   Online: 959

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

11x14 Kodak Empire & Available Film Recommended!

Well, I have done it again......at least this time my beloved (Theresa) is understanding and I have not gone to the doghouse for jumping into ULF.

With a certain degree of anxious intrepidation and definite excitement, I have purchased, although yet to receive, an 11x14 Kodak Empire. If nothing else, it is a sweet investment.....
    Or at least, that is the position taken with my LOVE and I am sticking with it....Although, come to think about it, the price of sheet film did not come up during our discussion!:o

Here is our expected baby

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320068752054

In anticipation of this baby's arrival, I have ordered 3 boxes of 11x14 TXP from Freestyle, emailed J&C Photo to purchase some 11x14 film, but the emails have been kicked back as nondeliverable, and I found a couple of threads commenting on the qualities of Bergger, HP5+, FP4+, Elke, etc. films.

I just received my most recent issue of View Camera and must congratulate Ted Harris on another fine article! This one, for those who have not seen it, is on the future of Large Format and the availability of sheet film. Thank you for your continued contributions to the LF....ULF...film community! However, given the lag time between research and publication, the availability list of the sheet films, and the disappointing delay in J&C Photo reopening, I ask:

Does anyone know what 11x14 sheet film is readily available for purchase today? If yes, where it can be purchased from?
    Why do you recommend it? What developer do you recommend, including developing times etc.?

How do you store your ULF sheet film? If you use 11x14 storage sleeves, who sells it?

Also, does anyone know what lensboard dimensions are for an 11x14 Kodak Empire?

Thanks, one and all, for your assistance! JW

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Congrats Jon! Most Excellente`.

You can't got wrong with Tri-X. I just checked Freestyle's website. They have several brands available in 11x14, including Tri-X, HP-5, PL100, and PL25.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jon,

The lens boards for my 11x14 Empire State are about 1/32" smaller than 5 3/4" square. I know of one other Empire State owner and boards that snuggly fit his camera are about 1/6" smaller than mine. So, there might be a bit of variability between cameras.

I house my negatives in 11x14 PRO-LINE polypropylene sleeves. They are available from the View Camera Store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't recall form your previous posts if you have worked with anything as big as 8x10 up to now. If yo have worked with 8x10, then you are aware of the challenges working with a big format. So I would not hesitiate to shoot your TXP when it arrives. But if you have only worked with smaller formats I would order a box of Efke 100 and use that to learn the quirks of the camera and format. I only advise that due to the fact that the Efke is about half the price per sheet as TXP and thus any learning mistakes (if any) are easier to swallow.

Have fun, 11x14 is a great format.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just a couple of things. The bellows on your upcoming camera probably will need to be replaced. Secondly, do you know if the "film" holders are for film or glass plates? If for glass plates, you cannot use film in them without some engineering. Considering the time-period of the camera, those holders could just as easily be film or plate.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    nice one jon. looks like a great deal too! enjoy. post some photos when you can.

eddie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your great responses and words of encouragement.

The new beast finally arrived today. It is an Improved Kodak Empire 11x14. It makes my V8 look small in comparision.

It needs to be cleaned up, but it is in amazingly good shape. I need to replace one of the front rail hinges and replace the missing rear rail pin to secure that rail to the camera. The bellows are dirty, but they appear to be light tight....need to examine closer. It did come with 2 old plate holders...don't know if I can repair them or not. Thanks to a fellow apugger/trader....I do have 2 nice wood 11x14 filmholders....and he has a nice portrait lens.

For those who develop 11x14 film in a jobo, what drum do you use?

JON

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    jon,
    I use the print drum 2840 myself but I think there are likely several print drum combos you can use and then the expensive film specific drums--I use a Expert drum for 4x5 through 8x10 and the print drum result for 11x14 film looks just as good !
    Looks like you got a pretty good buy considering the lens and holders !!
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe, I have the jobo 2840 drum, but I am not sure how to install a base on it. It appears to me that it does take the normal lid for that size of drum. My 2840 drum has ridges inside the length of the drum; are these ridges sufficient to raise the non-emulsion side of the film from the drum side to permit an appropriate washing of the film? Are you only able to develop one sheet of 11x14 in this drum at a time? How many ML of solution do you use with this drum and developing 11x14 film? I appreciate your assistance.

BTW, the Rapid Rectigraphic 10x12 looks like it may produce some nice images, but I either need to take the barrel apart and reinstall the aperture blades or send it to Carol (Flutoto's) for repair. Given time constraints and technical limitations, I am sure I will send it to Carol....she does such excellent work.

Jon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin