Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,855   Posts: 1,582,957   Online: 973

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

for 12x20 shoot vertical ..Lotus VMD? Ries A250-2? (but Ries head can not pan)...

for 12x20 camera want to shoot vertical
    ..Lotus VMD? Ries A250-2? (but Ries head can not pan, can it?)...

any body using Lotus's VMD?
    It looks like VMD will be more steady than tilt the head 90 degree.
    But carry VMD in the field is not easy.

any other tripod head will do the job?

thanks so much guys..

Jeff

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The Ries head can pan, but legs might get in the way.

vaughn

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    planning to get A250-2 with NO5 Gitzo.

legs still get in the way for panning? how?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I have a ries double tilt and a knockoff I made of the lotus vertical mounting device. The ries pans by way of loosening the mounting screw, which puts some people off. It's not silky smooth like a panning platform but it works fine in my opinion. (I switched out the 3/8 head mounting bolt on my tripod to a bolt that has a knob on it.) I think it's a great combination for verticals. Hope this is of some help.

I should mention that I'm only using a 5x12. A 12x20 on the other hand...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m21asph View Post
    planning to get A250-2 with NO5 Gitzo.

legs still get in the way for panning? how?
    You will have about 11 inches of camera hanging below the camera mounting screw of the head (and about 11" above it, of course). It is possible that the lower inside corner of the camera might come in contact with with one of the legs if you try to pan too far. It would just be a matter of setting up the pod so the camera would be positioned between two of the legs -- a rough guess is that you could have 50 or so degrees of panning without having to move the pod.

One could reduce the chance of a leg being in the way by not spreading out the legs too far -- but having that large of a camera tilted 90 degrees probably would need a good amount of spread of the legs to keep it stable. And in addition, the most stable set-up would be to have one leg directly under the camera -- right where it may get in the way.

If it would be helpful to you, I'll set my Ries (A100 with the double tilt head) tomorrow and take some measurements -- how wide is your camera in the 20" direction?

Colin...I have always assumed that loosening the mounting screw that holds on the head was the way one was suppose to pan with the double-tilt head. With the round disk of white plastic material that goes between the pod and the head, it pans smoothly. I did have to send the mounting screw back to Ries -- my original one only caught a couple treads when tight and I was worried that I might accidently rotate the head right off the pod! (I got into the habit of rotating the camera only in the direction that would tighten the mounting screw -- a habit I kept even after getting the new mounting screw!)

Vaughn

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Just to be sure that I am on the same page as you, you need to turn the entire 12x10 camera 90 degrees in order to shoot a vertical, correct? (in other words the camera does not have a reversible back)

I tilted my Ries A250 double-tilt head 90 degrees. I then measured the distance from the screw that holds the camera on the head, straight down to the leg directly below the screw. That distance is about 7.5 inches. There is no way that a 12x20 camera will fit in a vertical position in the most stable configuration of having the weight direcly over one leg...at least on a Ries tripod.

One should be able to put the camera in a vertical position between two legs, but there will be very little panning possible -- 15 degrees maybe. And one will have to be careful that the whole tripod and camera does not tip over -- spread those legs out!

If a center post is used on the Gitzo, perhaps that could solve some of the problems...at the expense of stability. But it would lift the whole camera up and away from the legs. No.5 Gitzos are pretty heafty beasts, perhaps the center column is heavy-duty enough to handle it.

Hope this is of some help.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Vaughn, a lotus VMD is a large 'L' shaped extension, gimbal head sort of attachment that centers the camera over the tripod when mounting. There's a shot of one here. I thought about using a bearing plate of some sort under the head, but thought it might take to much effort to crank down the bolt to keep it from turning. What type of plastic are you using?
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 01-31-2007 at 09:54 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: afterthought

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use the majistic gear head to shoot verticals with my 8x20 camera.

I turn the camera so that the right hand side is towards the crank, then I crank the head all the way over. This makes the normal side to side controls now up and down.

I have two points to anchor the camera also on the gear head. I found that with just a single mounting point the camera spun on that point no matter how tight I had the screw. I had to use a leg to keep the camera from spinning. So I placed a second screw mount on the bottom of the camera.

The downside of turning a panoramic view camera on its side is that you loose what would be rise and fall of the front standard. Your limited to what was its shift movements. Same thing in the back of the camera.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Just happened to have the 12x20 on the Ries while reading this thread, so....

Yikes! Not for the faint-of-heart, even with the back off.

Indeed, the legs get in the way when panning.

You might get away with it if you built a support board for the camera, e.g., 3/4 inch board attached to the camera bottom and rails and then mounted to the tripod. That would cause the camera to stick out further from the head.

A cheap solution would be to make a 90 degree bracket; that would keep the weight over the center of the tripod.

Charley

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Dear all thanks so much for sharing...

in the attachment is the pic which i received from Lotus.

I so how think Lotus's VMD will be more steady than tilt the tripod head 90 degree.

thanks

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture1a.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin