Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,834   Posts: 1,582,395   Online: 902

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Clay I Can't think of any right off the top of my grey old head....lots of amidol users but no Azo? IMNSHO Azo is not the vital incredient.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hurrell used Azo.

Otherwise the greats used DuPont Velour Black.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    How many of us could name the papers that ANY of the greats used? I'm sure that like all of us, they used many different papers over the years because just like now, manufacturers were either discontinuing or improving their papers. The greats just didn't have the internet to share it with the world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Oriental paper ad says print like Ansel Adams but after examining his portfolios I didn't see Oriental anywhere. I did see Agfa and a host of Kodak papers. I just reread his Biography, and the Day Books of Edward Weston and a few other books and I don't recall seeing Azo in any of these books. I am not saying that they didn't use Azo but I don't recall them saying it was the best or only way to go. Is Azo mentioned in the AA series?

Azo on eBay allows me to discuss Azo paper, the demand, the substitute, any alternatives, the cost of the paper before, during and after its production, anyone using it and anyone collecting it and anyone wanting to use it. If my opinions offend you then go to ignore or put your head in the sand because using the words troll or blog is so grade school.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Ansel Adams once mentioned that the finest print he had ever made was on AZO. Besides for that, I don't believe he really used much of it at all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I recall seeing either photos or a video of Ansel's darkroom and it was filled with the Blue boxes of Oriental and boxes of Ilford Gallerie.

The fact that Azo was manufactured for 100 years says somebody must have been using it.

We'll have to wait and see if anyone is willing to pay nearly $300 for a 100 sheet box of Forte.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I think E. Weston mentioned in Daybooks that he used Azo for proofing his platinum prints?

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh View Post
    Ansel Adams once mentioned that the finest print he had ever made was on AZO. Besides for that, I don't believe he really used much of it at all.
    Believe he also said that the entire showing he did of 8x10 Azo prints bored him to death, hence he went for what he said was the more "dramatic" 16x20 enlargement. Whutever.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just finished reading the Daybooks, page by page, very intently and I didn't see Azo mentioned anywhere in it. That's not to say he didn't of course. I read AA's autobiography and didn't see Azo. I have gone through the making of 40 photographs by AA and saw plenty of references to Oriental Seagull. Although the Portfolios of AA didn't have any reference to Azo or Oriental Seagull. Adams did say that Edward Weston used Pt. and contacted on two other papers but did not mention Azo. Maybe the contemporary photographers are giving it the push and without the contact papers of the past it is or was the only one left to use.

If someone had the facilities to run an Azo type contact paper they could really clean up. For those who have some left, do you feel as reluctant to use it as I do? I have considered cutting it down, but to what size? An 8x10, two 5x7s would be nice, or four 4x5s. Edward weston made some really small prints. I have the In Focus book from the Getty and the print sizes are incredibly small. In the Daybooks, when he gave his 8x10 to one of the Sons, he went to small portraits and said the customer would have to accept them or else too bad. I like 5x7s and would be willing to double my paper count if new paper doesn't come along. I got 1500 additional sheets of 3 x 4 3/4 inch No. 2 paper some time back. It's small but it will be fun to see if I can make use of it. Some personal project perhaps?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    According to Kim Weston, Edward weston printed on Haloid paper during the last part of his life. He also used Convira, Velox and AZO.

Brett Weston, although printing on alot of Oriental, also made some prints on AZO for awhile.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin