Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,548   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

20x24" Portraits?! Have your guys seen this book?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You should see the camera...

http://www.polaroid.com/studio/20x24/rental/index.html

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have aspirations of one day renting time on a 20x24 studio. There's one local to me.

A lota cash to plunk down, tho. :P

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
    I have aspirations of one day renting time on a 20x24 studio. There's one local to me.

A lota cash to plunk down, tho. :P
    Tracy Storer can help you with that...he posts here at times...
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Or you can come to Asheville and play around with the one that hangs out in my basement!!! Apugger's are always welcome. Mine is a bit smaller at 60 lbs but alas it moves around much easier. Here is one that Kerik uploaded a while back when I couldn't post for a while of my son Satchel Cochise. Have shot some more but am digitally challenged when it comes to downsizing the files to upload here. Maybe one day when time allows....

Monty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Satchel Better Version.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format

The Little Ref

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
    Or you can come to Asheville and play around with the one that hangs out in my basement!!! Apugger's are always welcome. Mine is a bit smaller at 60 lbs but alas it moves around much easier. Here is one that Kerik uploaded a while back when I couldn't post for a while of my son Satchel Cochise. Have shot some more but am digitally challenged when it comes to downsizing the files to upload here. Maybe one day when time allows....

Monty
    Monty....A truly wonderful picture of your son. Hope all is well. Call me when you have a chance.

Tav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's the camera that Elsa Dorfman is using too, isn't it?
    She also has a quite a few wonderful portraits on display.

http://elsa.photo.net/

-- MW
    Men, said the Devil, are good to their brothers: they don’t want to mend their own ways, but each others.
    -- Piet Hein

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are a couple of area photographers who use the NY Polaroid camera (Linda Broadfoot & a lady in New Smyrna Beach whose name escapes me just now). They do still lifes, though. Linda told me it cost $10,000 per session with the camera, but that does include assistants.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've only seen Wegman's 20x24 Polas in an exhibition. They're impressive, but I don't think I would like to work with a monster like that. I had enough trouble when I tried to use the 8x10 Polaroid back and processor. On the other hand, since the assistants that will use the camera and processor do all the dirty work, I guess it'll not be so hard... the 10000$ needed are a different matter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In 1995, when Polaroid had a lot more money than they do today (indeed, before they effectively went bust) they very kindly took a 20x24 Polaroid portrait of my wife and myself; it's currently hanging in our séjour. The camera (this one was in the UK -- indeed, at Focus --and was borrowed from Prague) was a fascinating piece of kit but I have to say that I regard the whole thing as more of a curiosity than anything else. As I recall, the photographer worked with a single assistant. After seeing him take a number of portraits, and, as I say, being on the receiving end, I have no desire to try the thing. Until then, I had thought it would be a wonderful thing to try.

That's not to say for an instant that there's no place for 20x24 portraits, or for giant Polaroids; and Monty's lovely portrait earlier in the thread is a strong argument for the format. All I'm saying is that it's easier to fantasize about using the thing when you haven't seen it. Existing ULF shooters might love it -- but if you're not already a ULF addict (and even 11x14 inch and 12x15 inch, the biggest I've ever used, are miniatures next to this monster) you might find that you couldn't get good value for a hire fee of $1000, let alone $10,000.

Cheers,

R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin