Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,358   Online: 773

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you all. It is begining to come together. Thank you Tav for what you can add on Sunday.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Thank you all. It is begining to come together. Thank you Tav for what you can add on Sunday.

John
    John....I used to use the Jobo holder but started using the Cibachrome black tubes years ago for 11x14 and now 12x20. I have acquired all the sizes and about 8 base rollers that reverse agitation. I just put the film in the tube and pour in the dev. and off we go. No streaks, no fuss. The tubes are on Ebay quite often and so are the base rollers. PM me for more detailed info if you like.

Tav Walraven

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Tav,
    Thanks for the idea. That may be where I have to go. As mentioned above I already have the CPP-2 and am doing two sheets at a time in combined 2560 & 2830 tanks. I bought a 3063 drum (20x24 paper) with the understanding that someone else was going to provide an insert. That fell through so my first effort would be to get that working. Two at a time produce good results. I am just trying to do three sheets of 7x17 in the time it now takes to do two.

Could you tell us any more about the construction and parts of the Jobo insert? If you still have it, are interested in selling and it would work with 7x17 and a 3063 please let me know.

Thanks,

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Jobo ULF Inserts

Brief Description of the Jobo Inserts:

I have both 7x17 (2 per insert) and 12x20 (1 per insert) - no, they are not for sale.

The material is a clear, flexible plastic.
    They are built for a specific film format and cannot be changed.

The film is held in place with black pins (same material as the base of the Jobo CPA2/CPP2 probably - molded by the Jobo people). The black pins are on top of a raised area in the clear plastic material -- obviously vacuum formed. By using these raised areas to rest the film on , and kept in place with dimples, a good bit of the chemistry is able to reach the backside (to clear the antihalation layer, etc).

When the material is curved and slides inside the drum, then the film EXACTLY fits into the region between the pins (on all four sides of the film). This holds the film off the surface on the backside (those vacuum formed raised areas are approximately 1/4 inch tall).

While it is hard to make the material lay flat -- it tends to have a natural curve to fit inside the drum -- the area that the film occupies is smaller than the region contained by the pins, by perhaps an inch or slightly more, in the curved direction.

These were custom built by the staff at Jobo USA, and ordered through Rod Klukas at Photomark in Phoenix. I am sorry to hear that they are no longer made -- they work very well for ULF development. One of the sad fates of this ULF hobby is that excellent products get made, then go out of existence pretty quickly -- I've learned to pick things up when I see them.

A friend had a similar insert built for (2x) 11x14.

The only problem I have has is that the black pins get knocked out of the plastic insert -- they are just press fit into the plastic sheet. Once the plastic sheet's hole gets enlarged, the pins no longer stay seated. At this point, a small amount of RTV (non-acetic acid emitting while curing variety) is used to hold the pins in place.

Regards
    Don

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Don for taking the time to describe. That explains a lot.

Were these inserts made to fit the 3063 (20x24 paper) drum? If so my objective of processing three 7x17 in one cycle may not be attainable. I am developing two sheets at a time now without an insert in the combined 2560 & 2830 tanks. Are you aware of any insert that allows three film sheets at a time in a 3063 or any other drum? My measurement of the interior of the 3063 indicates that there is room for three. I don't know how much space between the sheets if any is needed for circulation of chemicals.

Thanks for your contribution.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I just use the little thingies that are meant to hold papers in place.
    Ole,

I did the same some time ago with 2 8x10 sheets in a 4xxx drum and got heavily underdeveloped areas near where the black plastic retainers were.

G

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin